Re: [pct-l] On the prospects of thruriding

In a message dated 4/3/00, Joanne L. writes:

<< I am opting out of the PCT this spring for preparations for another
 PCT thru adventure in 2002. This one I hope to do as a thrurider. >>

Go for it, Goforth!  I suggest you get good info about current trail
conditions.  Last year the trip would have been impossible, due partly to the
abnormal snow, but mostly because of poor trail conditions.  Some riders I
met in northern California finally had to give up their attempt to do
Sections O, P and Q because of the blowdowns.  I know a lot of that has been
cleaned up thanks to many volunteer trail maintainers, but perhaps not all?

Sections B and C south of Crater Lake in Oregon were also rough going because
of blowdowns and poor trail.  There were some burned areas with blowdowns in
Washington, section N, I think, which would have been rough for travellers on
horseback.

I also recall that horses are not allowed on the trail north of the Canadian
border, at least not without a bureaucratic hassle.

Just be sure to check things out.  Maybe someone on the list can point you
toward local equestrian clubs for more info?

Best wishes for a safe trip!