Re: [pct-l] Introduction and Comments

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000 14:37:21 -0400 PDietrich@checkfree.com writes:
>      Our plan includes 26 resupply points, no crampons, no umbrella,
full
> tent (Kelty Zen), no pads, dragonfly stove, and titanium fuel bottle
and
> cookpot (2 qt.).  We are doing our best to keep pack weights down,  but
> water and food weight are real problems.  Expect weights for  Katrina's
pack
> to range between 19 and 29 lbs and mine between 24 and 37 lbs.  This
> includes water and food, but not base (worn clothing.  I consider  this
> be light to medium pack weights.  Ultra-light doesn't seem to suit
> us.  Our longest time between resupply is eleven days.

Keep in mind that anything free is worth what you pay for it (and this is
free) :-)

So for what it's worth -
Why no pads?  Over the long haul you'll sleep better with a pad - and
you'll need all the sleep you can get.  One of the reasons some peole
don't finish long distance hike is because they just plain get tired.
Even Jardine didn't go without one.  We use Ridgerest 3/4 (9 oz)

Why 11 days?  If pack weight is a problem, then adding a couple more
resupply points might help.  We have a few more than you and our max is 9
days out of Lone Pine followed by a 7 out of  Bridgeport.

Our pack weights are in the same range.  But we figure on higher food
weights - our 6 day food weight last year for the last 500 miles on the
CDT was 27# for the 2 of us.

A question - where did you find a titanium fuel bottle?  Haven't seen one
of those before.

Walk softly,
Jim

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!