Re: [pct-l] ALL 3

I agree with Monte - wouldn't work.  Even if you are really good at snow
travel, hiking and navigating in the snow is much slower than trying to
do it in dry conditions and on the CDT, with it's sparse blazes, you
would be hiking trailless much of the way if you tried to do it in
winter.  When the route is covered in snow, there is no trail to follow.
The entire CDT hike would be in deep snow conditions, except maybe parts
of southern New Mexico.  Of course, you could walk roads all the way, but
what's the point in that? You could probably do a 10 month PCT-AT hike,
take a four or five month break and then hike the CDT - but it wouldn't
be much fun.  We talked to Sven after his double hike - I don't think
he'll do that again.  Taking your time is a lot more enjoyable.   Doing
just 2100 miles is really hard on the body, much less tripling that. And
having to do endless long days without time for a break is even harder on
the mind and spirit.  Why bother?
Ginny

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000 06:28:20 -0600 "Hillman, David"
<David.Hillman@telecheck.com> writes:
> Has anyone every consecutively hiked all 3 major trails (PCT, CDT,
> AT)?
>
> Do you (the learned hikers that you are) think it is possible to do
> a north
> bound hike of the PCT starting mid April, a southbound hike of the
> CDT
> starting mid October, and finaly a northbound of the AT in mid
> April?
>
> Or HaVe I LossEd My MIND?
>
> -=Dave=-
>
> P.S. Obviously money and time are of no importance. (Of course it
> might make
> for a nice book deal!)
> * From the PCT-L |  Need help? http://www.backcountry.net/faq.html
> *