Re: [pct-l] Bear/Food Canister

In a message dated 3/25/00 12:22:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Dharmabum64@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< On the PCT?  No because there are bear boxes around, at least that's what
I'm assuming.  I don't plan on bringing mine if that helps more.  >>

So ... now there will be two of you with no food?

Let's not get a false sense of security here from the statement, " ... No,
because there are bear boxes around." To the uninitiated, that may sound like
there are bear boxes from border-to-border. That's not true. There are bears
in more places than there are bear boxes to protect hiker food.

Generally, one might find bear boxes in "the Sierras." I don't recall ever
seeing one (bear box) north of the parking lot at Tuolumne Meadows.

Hikers should be prepared to protect their own food.

FWIW,
Charlie