[pct-l] Re: kennedy meadows question

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Luke Snyder <lukeahoy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm pondering about the kennedy meadows resupply
> situation.  Could I either have someone repost that
> thread, or hear what situations have worked in the
> past.  As of now, I haven't got one, and wondering if
> snow/changing hiking style should keep it at that when
> it comes mid June.

There's a link to the archives off the PCTA Web site if you just want to
review what was discussed. If you have a specific question, go ahead and
ask it. There's plenty of knowledgeable folks here anxious to help. The
general strategy is to gear up at KM. Typically, hikers pick up at least
an ice axe. A lot add more warm clothing. Some even switch to a warmer
sleeping bag although they're in the minority. A lot of folks upgrade
their footwear from shoes to boots or from light to heavy boots. That's
very subjective depending on what works best for you.

> Secondly, the what's the best "on-the-trail" snow
> update.  Can I count on the PCTA toll-free one for
> good stuff?

The PCTA's number is about as good as you'll get. The other hikers should
also have "the word". News with varying degrees of accuracy seems to
travel along the trail. Also, it's worthwhile asking the local inhabitants.
If nothing else, it'll give you a chance to get to know them.

> Finally...little, tiny, containers for
> soap/spices/misc.  What has worked best in your
> opinions (film canisters tend to explode on me) and
> where can I get them?

I've found that medicine bottles work well. If you go to nearly any
pharmacy, they'll sell you the brown bottles that they'd fill with say
prescription cough syrup. It might take a little sweet talking to convince
them that you're not a nut but they're usually willing to sell just the
empty bottles. You will have to deal with the child-proof caps but they're
very secure and fairly light weight.

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98                       (650) 363-1350
http://www.stanford.edu/~kbrandt/