RE: [pct-l] alternate routes

Hi Ginny,

Some of the alternates have already been discussed, so I won't repeat what's
been said.  Two alternates that haven't been mentioned are snow-bypass
alternates and Oregon Skyline Trail (OST) alternates.

The sections I'm thinking of are in Oregon.  The PCT goes high up the side
of Three Fingered Jack, Mt. Adams, Mt. Jefferson, etc.  In high snow years,
or early season, these routes may be difficult.  The guide lists lower
elevation alternates when they are convenient.  I don't recommend these
unless they are necessary.  The views from the higher routes are well worth
the extra effort.

There are also some places where the PCT is routed differently than the
older OST for no compelling reason.  I'm guessing  it was done to protect
fragile lakes on the OST and to provide a more alpine, "ridge route" for the
PCT.  Neither is better than the other.  I prefer the ridge routes and would
take them unless I needed water.  Especially in mosquito season, the higher
routes are a blessing.  The guidebook authors seem to prefer the lake
routes.

As you know from hiking the CDT, you can plan all you want, but when the day
comes and you're standing at the junction, you get to make the final
decision on the spot.  That's part of the fun.

Brian