Re: [pct-l] alternate routes

In a message dated 2/29/00 12:28:37 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
jimandginnyo@juno.com writes:

<<  What do you all think?  Are there lakes and waterfalls
 that really mustn't be missed? Or did you just decide that you would take
 the shortest route, whatever that was, and forget about the scenery? Or
 did you just stick to the official trail because then you wouldn't have
 to make decisions about the route?   >>

Upon a purist notion I queried the PCTA about what it takes to become a 2600
miler.  It was given, that as long as you hiked "along" the Pacific Crest
Trail, alternate routes included, you're in.

There are many routes you can take in and out of town, following your own
foot steps, that have nothing to do with trail proper, but it's all part of
the journey.  The one decidedly big alternative is Eagle Creek Trail that
passes though Tunnel Falls, not on the PCT, I've never read a journal yet
that hasn't taken this route, but you'll still end up at Cascade Locks.

 Sly

PS. Hat Creek Rim, a bummer of a hike, 35 dry miles, but gorgeous (don't
quote me)!  Talk to the people at the Old Station Store and for the price of
bottled water, they may deliver it half way.