[pct-l] Southern PCT Support

Dear Past PCT Thru and Section Hikers, PCT Day Hikers and General PCT
Supporters,

The response to the upcoming ADZPCTKO gathering has been incredible and
almost overwhelming!  Many of you have asked if there is a way to help.

We, who have benefited so greatly from our experiences on the PCT, feel a
strong need or desire to contribute something back to encourage and support
those who are considering to attempt a section or thru-hike.

Thus is the collective conscience of those that lend support along the entire
length of the PCT.

The supporters of the southern section of the PCT are accepting donations
from those of you on the list who share this feeling.  We are a loose knit,
informal group of supporters who have coordinated our efforts.

If you do not live in southern California but would like to help our efforts
out, then please consider a small donation to help to defer the costs of the
ADZPCTKO (herein after referred to as the KO) and providing water on the
southern section of the PCT.

If you do live in Southern California and would be interested in joining the
support group, please consider contributing resources such as: transportation
to the border from various airports, train stations, bus stations, or, food,
supplies or logistical help for the KO.

This request is motivated by the recognition that interest in the KO and
logistics of the water stashing has grown to a point where we are straining
the resources of the supporters and risking the longer term maintenance of
this support.  Nearly 70 people have indicated, on Margo's list, that they
may attend the 2nd KO!  Now we all know that about 10% to 15% that have
indicated so, won't come (like maybe me!), but I will wager that there are
another 10% to 15% out there that haven't signed Margo's list that will show
up.  So we are planning on approximately 70 people, more than twice last
year's attendance!

This has the organizers of the KO excited, however, a little concerned.
Firstly, it has never been the intention nor the desire that the KO should
become a large, overwhelming, highly structured or high profile event.  We
are striving to maintain the low key, loose knit nature of the 1st KO and
specifically avoiding any media coverage.  We do not wish to scare away
anyone due to a circus type event.   We also do not want to wear our welcome
out at the Lake Morena Campground.  It is a quiet, family type place and we
don't think they will want us back if we create many problems.

Secondly, the cost of putting on the event is approaching a level that the
supporters cannot maintain for the long term.  We all think that this (the
KO) is a worthy, entertaining and fun event and would like it to continue.
By expanding the pool of support we aim to maintain the support and
coordinated activities for years to come.  A greater pool of support will
lessen the financial and time contributions of those that contribute now,
thereby lessening the chance of burnout.

The informal southern PCT support group currently consists of the following
people:

Greg Hummel
Tom Reynolds
Charlie Jones
Anne Riedman and Jim Wermers
Bob Riess
Pat and Paul at Hiker's Oasis

Please make donations out to "Greg Hummel" and send to:

Southern PCT Support
c/o Greg Hummel
23239 Ironhorse Cnyn. Rd.
Diamond Bar, CA 91765

Please contact anyone on the list above if you would like to contribute time,
labor or transportation on a regular basis to the group and would like to
join.  We, of course, won't turn away any one-time help but wish to encourage
long term support.  We also do not wish to solicit donations from any current
hikers.

Should donations exceed our expenses, all excess will be donated to the PCTA.

Best regards and please take this message in only a positive sense.

Greg "Strider" Hummel