Backpacks

Based on the above theory I chose a Jansport D-3 external frame pack because
the hip belt attaches to the pack at the exact center of my body [a metal
lever extends inward from the pack frame to a point directly above the seam
on my pants leg] and the pack weight is suspended from the pack frame at the
top of my shoulders [A hoop extends from the pack frame at the level of my
shoulders and extends out about five inches. I put heavy stuff either on top
of the hoop outside the pack OR just below it inside the pack.]

The trouble with this design is that it results in a 6 pound pack. I have
often wondered when someone would apply space-age materials to this design
and create a functionally equivalent pack weighing 3 pounds. Unfortunately,
the modern taste is good-looking internal frame packs not ugly external
frame packs. That has left me searching for a 3 pound pack.

So far ........
This weekend I hiked with a Kelty Ridgeway. It had maybe 12 pounds of gear.
After 3 miles I had an awful backache. Reason? After years using a real pack
I had difficulty with the percentage of weight on my shoulders. Further, the
shoulder straps were not long enough to properly extend. My back was
cramped.

My REAL PACK is almost 6 pounds stock. However, I stripped the pack bag off
and simply lashed gear in stuff sacks to the frame. This saved two pounds
but creates other problems when I hike alone. I need a sack to carry my
stuff.

Internal frame packs support the pack UP from the hip belt. They either use
two parallel stays, two stays crossed in an X, or a stiff frame sheet to get
the pack bag supported from the hip belt. Some internal frame packs pull the
stays forward and force them to connect to the hip belt nearer the center of
gravity. Finally, internal frame packs use the load itself to support
itself.

Yes, I know that everyone knows all this. However, remembering the theory is
sometimes critical to evaluate functionality.

I have a Natural Balance Trekker Light internal frame pack. I is very light
[4# 6 ounces] for an internal frame pack. It is not as comfortable as my
external frame but I'll give it another try. Another possibility is the
Mountainsmith Mountain Light 5000 It weighs 4 pounds but another 4 ounces
can be saved with carbon fiber stays [as opposed to aluminum]. I consider
these two packs REAL packs. Probably I can remove extraneous junk from the
Natural Balance and approach 3#'s. That's about the best I think can be done
with a standard internal-frame pack.

Small Backpacks.......
The Kelty Ridgeway has too small a body for me and for most men. The pack
simply does not have enough back length to sit comfortably on the hips and
still extend up to the shoulders. The weight is either carried too low OR
the hip belt is too high. In particular, the Mountainsmith Mountain Light is
built long and thin to overcome this problem. Is the Mountainsmith as
efficient as my external frame? I doubt it. I carried 35 of the 45 pounds I
carry across the shoulders. There was nothing down my back except a bare
frame. This isn't possible with the single sack Mountainsmith.

Enter the ultra lights ......
1-The Golite Pack does not have a hip belt. If you are young and don't have
a heavy load you would probably get used to this. When my back started
hurting I tried disconnecting the hip belt. This was somewhat better. It
appears that NO hip belt is better than a pack that is so small it will
cramp your back. Still, carrying everything on your shoulders HAS to be
tiring even if everything doesn't weigh much.

2-The GV4 Pack has a minimum hip belt. For stiffening it uses a z-rest pad
as a frame sheet. How does this work? I don't know. Certainly the pack will
hang from the back twisting the pelvis even if the hipbelt supports most of
the
load. Is the pack long enough to pack most of the weight across the
shoulders? Probably not, but then the GV4 is not designed to carry heavy
loads. To me the GV4 looks like a GREAT short distance pack. Carry a
sleeping bag [3#], a tent and sleeping pad [2#] and whatever food and water
you need for a couple, three overnights. A younger person may well be able
to sprint between resupply points on a thru hike with it -- but not me.

3-The Kelty Cloud is a self-configurable pack. It starts with a rucksack
like the Golite but it includes various suspension systems at added weight.
You get to choose how much suspension and padding you want and how much
extra weight you want to pay. It also includes a corrugated frame sheet ....
or you may use your sleeping pad. Actually, this is a great idea
....except....the price is excessive and you can do the same thing with the
GV4. You can choose to pad the hip belt with foam, spare socks or nothing.
Ditto the shoulder straps. You can choose to use the sleeping pad as a frame
sheet or come up with something better. The price difference $550 vs. $100
versus the two packs makes the Kelty hard to justify.