[pct-l] Questions?

I was wondering if anyone has some info to help
me finish nailing down my drops.

1-Can I mail out from Kennedy Meadows, and if so
any idea as to how much it will cost (handling
fees?)

2--What kind of Milage can I expect to be making
form Kenndy Meadows to Echo lake in early June?
(I realize it depends on the weather, but just an
idea will suffice.)

3---What is the charge to recieve packages at
Vermillion Resort?  Is it worth staying at?

4----The stretch from Echo lake to Belden, will I
be out of the High Sierras yet or could it still
be slow going?
I've heard that north of the Sierras it flattens
for a while and you can increase milage. I was
wondering where that began.
I don't want to plan for 24mi/day when I can only
do 15.

5-----Finally is there a charge to recieve
packages at Burney Falls?

I know it is a lot of questions, but I'd
appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Kinch
http://im.yahoo.com

"Robinson, Brian A" wrote:

> 15 miles per day in the Sierra in mid to late June assuming a light
> snow-pack, good weather, and a similar effort level.  This doesn't include
> side-trips for resupply or to climb Mt. Whitney.  But hey, take your time
> and ENJOY the southern Sierra!  I resupplied at Kennedy Meadows, Lone Pine
> (out over Whitney, in at Cottonwood Pass), Bishop (Bishop Pass), Red's
> Meadow, Tuolumne Meadows, and Echo Lake.  The side trips for resupply were
> just as awesome as the PCT.  In my opinion, it was no waste of time.

Some friends hiked the JMT last year and on my suggestion, contacted Parcher's
Camp on the other side of Bishop pass near south lake and contracted with them
to hold a mailed box.  One year when I hiked the JMT I dropped off a box with
one of the camp employees who kept it in the dorm until I straggled in to pick
it up.  Parcher's camp will also pack in your box to the JMT, but for a stiff
fee (don't remember what it is), and you have to be there when you say you will.

Next time my friends said they would also head out over Knapsack Pass into the
Palisades Basin rather than hiking down into LeConte Canyon and up from there.
I believe that's part of Roper's Sierra High Route...

Jeffrey Olson
Laramie WY