[pct-l] Re: Vacum Sealed Bags

Sealing my food in vacuum sealed Mylar bags did not keep the rodents or the
bears away. First night out after resupplying with 9 days of food at
Kearsarge pass, the rodents promptly found the bags and began to chew their
way through my labors of preparation. Needless to say, the night progressed
with the food finding refuge from the rodents at the feet of my bedroll
(open-air camp), a bear wandering into our camp and swiping our blanket from
over us, removing my left sock in the process, with one quick food-exposing
swipe. We were able to defend our food - the bear and rodents did not get a
crumb - find our sleeping bag and my sock 100 yards away in the bushes,
complete with bear slobber, and ride the adrenaline into the next morning
with a retreat over the pass. You know, I still don't sleep very soundly in
bear country.
    One thing you might try to improve the shelf life of your food is to
flush your vacuum sealed bags with nitrogen as your pumping out the air.
This will prevent oxidation of your food, especially the oils and fats that
are susceptible to peroxidation (= free radicals)

Rusty "MyTie" Johnston
pctresearch@pcthiker.com | Long-distance backpacking research
http://www.pcthiker.com | experience the Pacific Crest Trail