[pct-l] New to list - Supporter of a thru-hiker questions...

Hi all, I just recently joined the list because my bf
is going to attempt a thru-hike this year of the PCT.
I however will be working but would like to, on
occasion, see him during the summer.  I know people
tend to hate cell phone questions w/r/t the outdoors,
but it is for me, not for him.  Hopefully others of
you have supporters who want to visit and have
experience in this:

I live in the bay area and will probably be driving or
using some other form of transportation to get to him
every so often. I'd like to find a cellular phone
service that would have the best coverage for him to
try and reach me

1) in the bay area (San Mateo and East bay)
2) when I'm on the road out to meet him (in case I get
lost yada yada)

I've only started my research (I want to get the phone
in place in March-April) and would like some
recommendations. I'm thinking of getting something
like a Startac 7797 (tri-band) or something similar -
maybe with a car booster thinggy in areas where there
is Analog coverage.  Or maybe a cheap analog bag type
phone until he's done.

CellularOne has the California plan, how about GTE or
Sprint PCS.  Roaming?

Recommendations?
Thanks.
Yoli