[pct-l] Vacuuum sealed bags

I have an idea that I would like present to see if anyone has had experience
with, or an opinion about.  I am considering packing my resupply food in a
vacuum sealed bag. They sell home versions of a machine which sucks all the
air out of a plastic bag and seals it with a pretty tight vacuum.  My
original reason for considering this was to extend the shelf life on the
food. Then it occurred to me that a heavy duty vacuum sealed bag might be
"invisible" to a bear's nose.  One could seal three or four days provisions
at a time, and if indeed they become invisible you could feel secure keeping
them in your pack close by, while you hung your open provisions.  I realize
this system would be impractical for a long thru hike, but I am planning for
the bear infested JMT this summer and would love to avoid the weight of a
bear canister and still have some peace of mind about not having to do battle
with bears.  Any thoughts?

Mike