RE: [pct-l] Esbit costs

>This kinda puts the fuel resupply problem of butane stoves in perspective.
>IF [ BIG IF ]one could figure out how to receive fuel canisters in
>appropriate locations, the 3 ounce Snow Peak or Primus Stoves look like the
>best bet.

No problem mailing butane cartridges-- you just can't send 'em by
air. I've mailed butane to myself almost every year since 1971, and
the regs are still the same (I rechecked late '99 with my postmaster).

Butane CANNOT go by air. Nowadays, much of the mail shipped by USPS
at ground rates, still might traverse big stretches of country by
air. Your obligation is simply to write, "butane cannisters-- do not
ship by air"-- the box will snail-mail via truck to its destination.

I've only had a single box arrive late, if mailed 2 weeks prior to my
arrival-- and it only came 1 day late-- to Old Station on the PCT in
'73-- I walked in to Burney Falls and loaded up at the Safeway.
Interestingly, my replacement Kelty pack frame, shipped on the same
day, did arrive on-time.

An alternative, today, for many sites, is UPS or FedEx, the former
often cheaper than mail, the latter, usually much pricier.

I still use one form of butane or another almost exclusively on summer trips.

--Ben