Re: [pct-l] Esbit costs

Let's say that our readily obtainable Esbit or Esbit-type fuel costs the
following (from older pct-l post):

>>It's takes at least one for a meal, if not two, and for the price of four
>>tabs at 50 cents each ($5.99 12pk Campmor) <<

(I know they're apparently available under different names at different
prices.)

Now let's say I either require one tablet per meal and plan to cook twice a
day on the PCT, or I require two tablets per meal and plan to cook only once

a day. Either way, I use two tablets per day on the PCT this summer. I spend

$1.00 on fuel each day.

My planned hike is from Kennedy Meadows to Manning. (Margo, sign me up. :) I

haven't worked out the per day mileage yet, but let's say this will require
3 months. Let's subtract half a month for days spent either in town or
without the need to cook. We are left with, say, 75 cooking days.

That's $75 worth of fuel to hike only part of the PCT. I wonder if the Esbit

company ever sponsers thru-hikers? :)

I reckon the equivalent fuel costs for an alcohol stove (denatured ethyl
alcohol at $6 per gallon; 2 ounces used per day) would be under $10. And
white gas might be similar.

That is a huge difference in cost, and one that I cannot ignore. So as I
proceed with future testing, the Esbit stove is really going to need a
shining moment to prove its wisdom over some alternative heat source. I like

the rock-bottom weight, and the idiot-proof design, but these tabs seem
fairly unpredictable, with variable heat output, and I, unlike others, can't

seem to just blow them out when finished with a meal. They stay lit like
trick candles.

Anyone know of a mail order source for cheaper (< .50 each) tabs?

- Blisterfree