RE: [pct-l] How many are into "Rays Way"?

Paul writes regarding Ray >> , but many of his ideas shows he a real
engineer as in good in theory but with no common sense what so ever.  Like
I'm sorry but there is no way am I going to make a backpack on my own and
have it support the weight like my Dana can! <<

Paul,

There is very little engineering involved in Ray's equipment. In fact one
could say he's removed much of the engineering that's been applied to
equipment over the last several decades and reduced it back to it's core
components.

The real engineering is not in the equipment. It is instead in analyzing the
relationship of the equipment and hiker over a wide range of environments.
In the process of analysis, coming to understand the relative strengths and
weakness of each.  What he has done is find a balance that works well for
him. At times using himself, his equipment or the environment to overcome a
potential problem.

If anyone should choose to adopt this style, they too will need to learn to
seek the balance. Something that is not particularly easy to do if your not
sure of your own capabilities, or your equipment or the environments you're
entering.

Personally I find process of solving the equations to find balance for
myself pretty interesting.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 Journey - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000