Re: [pct-l] Esbit stove for two

Read Miller wrote:

> There certainly are places where fires are not permitted in Southern
> California. I specifically recall portions of the San Jacinto area, the San
> Gabriels  and the Sierra above 10,000 and near certain lakes as having
> restrictions. There are also areas that require fire permits but I have not
> been troubled by rangers when using my wilderness permit showing that I'm
> hiking the PCT. The guide book, signs, rangers, and local hikers can help
> keep us posted.
>
> Given all this, there are many many spots where a small fire is appropriate.
> For me, finding a good place to cook is one of the more minor and more
> pleasurable challenges of the trail. I work hard to be totally safe and
> follow "leave no trace" procedures. Since I don't cook where I sleep, travel
> fairly long daily distances, only cook once a day, am flexible about when to
> cook during the day, and don't mind missing a day if necessary, using a
> small cooking fire works quite well.

Speaking only of San Diego County, section A, the ordinance is "no open burning
without a permit.".  For backcountry travelers, The Pacific Crest Trail handbook
states, "in Southern California...a special campfire permit is required for each
visit....(the permits) require each party to carry a shovel...If you ...use only
gas stoves you'll still need the permit.  We strongly recommend that you do not
build fires...."pg. 16, Land Use Regulations

Through sections A and B, a hiker will pass through many burn areas.  Two are
new for this season, one right at the monument, and the other between upper Agua
Caliente creek and Lost Valley Rd.  (the latter chased Marge off the trail in
October.)  The sycamores and oaks that surrounded Tule Spring are only blackened
skeletons.  I don't know of a burn along the PCT in A and B that was caused by a
thru hiker, but the area has certainly proved itself flammable.  The burn down
through Chariot/Rodriquez Canyons was the result of a "controlled" burn that
escaped.

From a hiker's perspective, the trail is, more often than not, cut through
Chaparral, a word translatable as "brush fire fuel".  Water is certainly scarce,
as are escape avenues if the creosote ignites, and Smokey's advice of "douse,
stir, and douse again", is a tough rule to follow when one is counting liters to
the next stop.

Perhaps if one were to construct a fire box to contain the flames....no, then
we'd be discussing the Sierra Zip Stove. <g>

Anyway, I think down here, the risk is too great for me to use an open fire.

Jeff E