Re: [pct-l] Sleeping Bags

I found the same thing as Owen.  I had a light weight 5 or 10 degree, high
quality down bag made in the early 70's and it lasted only about six or seven
years before it had lost most of its effective warming potential.  Now, I'll
admit that the baffle design was simplistic compared to today's bags and that
the down might not have been of the quality that FF uses.

However, I used a NF Bigfoot in '77 made of the first generation of
Polarguard.  It was designed to be a 5 or 10 degree bag they said.  In
temperatures around that I found it to be barely adequate.  Twenty three
years later I can't justify buying a new bag because after three washings the
bag still keeps me plenty warm down into the twenties.  I haven't used it in
any colder weather than that in many years (yes, I have become a cold weather
wimp) so I can't really say how low it would still keep me warm.  There is
more of me to keep warm now, too, 25% more body mass!

This bag kept me warm thru 9 straight days and nights of cold rain in the Nth
Cascades where everything got wet in my pack, tent, clothes, sleeping bag,
etc.  It was impossible to keep everything dry even carefully using a two
man, double wall tent.

So if you're buying a bag with longevity anywhere in the equation, think
synthetic.  I understand that the new Polarguard is lighter, warmer and just
as durable.

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel