[pct-l] dogs on trail

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Kam Mudd <beaterbomb@uswest.net>.
* Please use <mailto:beaterbomb@uswest.net> to reply to the sender.

I don't know the rules/regs for the PCT, but when I thru-hiked with my dog on the AT dogs were not
allowed in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park or in Baxter State Park in Maine.  There was a state park in Pennsylvania that only allowed dogs to go through on the trail and Shenandoah National Park allowed dogs, but only on leash.  I believe it is a regulation that varies from park to park, so you would probably have to contact each for their specific rule.

I am not taking my dog on my PCT thru-hike this year because of the desert hiking & water situation (I carried all of our water) and because of the risk of snakebites.

My experience thru-hiking with a dog is that the 30% rule...a dog can carry 30% of their weight while hiking, is a very generous guideline.  This may be OK for a very strong dog, or if hiking fewer miles, but we hiked up to 26 miles a day & 15% was about all I ever allowed her to carry.  This made her walking comfortable & never caused any sore spots from her pack.