[pct-l] RE: Esbit Stoves

I use an Esbit stove on solo overnights, on trips where I need to pack super light, and on dayhikes in the winter.

I use a windscreen made out of thick aluminum foil and I can get 2 cups of water to boil in the summer in about 9 minutes with one Esbit tab.  In the winter while melting snow, it takes a little more fuel.  The secret to cooking with an Esbit is to use different solid fuels for different stages of your meal if you want to get elaborate with your cooking.  Trioxane will burn hotter for a shorter period and Esbit fuel does the opposite.  Hexamine comes in between the two.  I will pack and use all three.  I can get trioxane in bulk lots so that it costs me very little.  Hexamine is relatively cheap as well.

I don't know how you can pack lighter than taking a 3 ounce stove and a bunch of light solid fuel tabs.  Can't think of a simpler way to boil water either.

Happy trails