[pct-l] Re: Hiking

In a message dated 2/6/00 12:46:18 PM Pacific Standard Time, gregpr@juno.com
(Marge - the old gal) writes:

<< I want to go someplace on Section B  C or D.  What do you know about the
snow levels at the PCT trail elevations.  I would like to go pretty soon if I
can find someone to hike with me and that may be a possibility.

I realize that in Section C you end at Big Bear due to the fire closure from
this past year.  In my mind I am thinking  from Section B (pines to palm
hiway) to Section C to big Bear.  That would be about 58 miles in Section B
and 64 miles in Section C. And we could resupply ourself from the Car at the
end of Section B.

Tell me what you think about the snow and possible weather and also has it
rained enough to put water in the creeks etc. thanks for any advice. >>

Sorry, Marge. Sounds like you are getting eager to hike (just like the rest
of us). I really don't know about snow levels through Sections B and C, but
have to consider snow "likely at any time" since elevations exceed 7K-9K feet
(Fobes Ranch north) for most of the way to Big Bear.

In southern CA, we have had so little rainfall this season, I would not
advise counting on water in seasonal streams.

I would think that Section D is out of the question this time of year as that
is basically the San Gabriel Mountains.

Does anyone on the List have any reliable info about snow conditions or
forecasts through this area? Please respond to the list (copy Marge) so we
avoid duplicate info and advice.

Charlie Jones (for Marge)