[pct-l] Re: Updates

>Is someone updating the rest of California? I just got off the phone
>with Wilderness Press, and they didn't have any idea about an update
>beyond the '98 one, which I already have. Do you know who does the
>other sections? If it's all at the printers, they should have been
>able to tell me.
>
>The other question was regarding the new OR/WA book - I hear
>conflicting release dates of late March and early summer. Would you
>happen to know which is more accurate?

I spoke with Tom Winnett. The entire CA-PCT 2000 year update is at
the printer now.

It will eventually be posted on the WP website (expect this to happen
too late for utility). Unless Jeff wants to send it to PCT-L, it
won't go there. (I just do it every year, because that's the section
most everyone needs first, and I get lots of great feedback from the
San Diego contingent).

The entire 2000 text will be bound into the end of all new books
sold. It will also be available in hard-copy as separate pages, for
free, by sending a SASE to WP.

Current plans are to have the OR-WA PCT book out BEFORE hiking
season, but once the manuscript is at the printers, it is out of WP's
hands.

I'm not surprised that the desk clerks didn't know about updates, but
I am a bit disappointed.

Holler if things aren't working-- I can always get the changes direct
from Jeff Schaffer.

-- Ben Schifrin