Re: [pct-l] Pur

Sorry to hear about your water filter problems Jim.  From my experience
hiking the PCT, PUR was excellent at sending out new cartridges for their
water filters.  I went through 5 filters during my hike and each time it was
beginning to take longer than I wanted to spend pumping water, I called them
at my next town stop.  Each time they sent out a filter, no questions asked
and I did not even need to send in the old one.  Another friend of mine
experienced troubles with his entire pump and they again sent out a new
pump, but this time asking to return the original.

I think it is a good idea to carry contact numbers of all the companies you
are carrying gear for in case something does go wrong.  These companies have
to cater to the long distance hiking community because if a long distance
hiker endorses a product, hey, all your friends have to assume it is of
quality.

Mountainsmith even sent another thru-hiker a replacement pack during his
hike while they repaired the shoulder straps that were broken somewhere in
southern California.  Call and tell the companies what you are doing and
they will look out for you.

Cheers,

Brad