[pct-l] desert hiking

John Kincheloe inquired about desert hiking tips so here are some
of mine.
   Get up EARLY, and start hiking as soon as you can tell that stick
lying across the Trail is not a rattlesnake instead!  Take a long
midday siesta and get out of the worst of the heat and uv rays and
then hike into the evening.
   The most water I've ever had to haul is 5 liters and that was in a
dry year (94).  I've been through the S. Calif. PCT in 1993 and 1999
as well and in my experience the horror stories can be greatly
exaggerated.  You're in high desert anyway and there is usually a
stiff breeze to help.
   I use the Desert Rhat Hat by Sequel and have found it to be a
godsend for all my hiking, not just desert stuff.  It ventilates
extremely well and provides excellent protection to the face, head
and neck.  Using this hat I have never felt the need to experiment
with an umbrella.
SCOTT