[pct-l] Re:

"John C. Kincheloe" wrote:
> What worries me is the conditions of
> the desert.  I was wondering if anyone had advice
> to shed in my direction.  Things such as how to
> stay cool and the best way to carry water etc.

I've done a fair amount of desert hiking in Southern California.  There
are a few simple things that can mitigate the desert conditions:

1. Stay hydrated.  I use 2 four liter MSR Dromedary water bags, and a
hydration tube with bite valve.  When the bags are full I carry them at
the top of my pack lying horizontally between the inner and outer
drawstring closures.  I keep the bite valve attached to one shoulder
strap and drink freely as I hike.  Eight liters gets me through 2 full
days of moderate hiking without a lot of anxiety.  Hiking the PCT in the
spring there are only a few segments that will challenge that system.
An empty water bag doubles as an excellent air pillow.

2. Sun Protection.  I'm not real sensitive to exposure, so I just wear a
hat with a wide brim and wrap around lightweight sunglasses to cut the
glare.  I've never carried an umbrella.  Anticipate long exposed
segments and do what you can to avoid them during the peak sun hours;
hunker down in the shade and pick your time.

3. Hot Feet.  Carrying a pack in desert conditions generates a lot of
friction heat that doesn't dissipate because the air temperature
adjacent to the ground can be pretty hot.  That makes you prime for
blisters.  Wear as light a shoe as you're comfortable with, preferably
non-gortex to enhance air circulation, and don't wear gaiters, they will
turn your shoes to ovens.  In the worst conditions I rotate socks and
liners every 1-2 hours and use powder as soon as I start to develop hot
spots.  I haven't had good luck with duct tape in desert conditions
because it doesn't stick very well when my feet are sweating profusely.

I hiked Sections A&B last fall in dry conditions.  You can check my trip
report at  http://home.san.rr.com/tomsadventures/

See you on the trail, Tom