Re: [pct-l] Trail attitudes

Dave,

I planned to only hike 6 out of 7 days a week.  I didn't always just stop and
take a layover day automatically on the seventh day, I usually tried to look
ahead and find a particularly suitable or spectacular spot.  If I happened to
come across one, I would just stop and take my layover day there.  I would
clean out my pack and reorganize food, catch up on my journal, climb a peak,
fish or just explore the wildflowers in the meadow.  These breaks from the
day-after-day routine I think helped my mental outlook.  I only tried to
average a high mileage rate for an extended period once, in the mosquito
infested low lands of Oregon.

And there is nothing like taking an afternoon siesta on a warm afternoon in a
beautiful spot for the mental refreshing.

I also hitch hiked into San Francisco for a pack changeout, other equipment
changeouts and a week of city R&R with my brother.

Otherwise I think the mental fortitude is possibly a matter of personality,
i.e., you either got it or you don't.  And, no, it isn't any negative thing
if you don't happen to have the mental fortitude, unless you judge yourself.

This isn't uncommon.  In a college course on crystallography the first day of
class the professor asked us all to draw a three dimensional hexagonal box.
About 20% of the class could not do even a reasonable job of it.  He
suggested that they quit the class before failing because they could not
picture 3D objects in their mind.  It wasn't anything bad but simply a fact
of life.  No object in pursuing things that your body or mind is simply
incapable of doing.

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel