[pct-l] Trail attitudes

Me, I'd like all the advice I can get from successful thru-hikers about
techniques of the inner life that will help me achieve my goal of hiking
the entire trail, hopefully this summer.  I'm almost all geared-up in the
way I want to be, with backups in case my techniques don't work.   I'm at
the gym several times a week on the treadmill.  I've read the guide books
more than once.  I've had ice-axe training, crampon training, and snow
camping training.  I may have finally solved my shoe/boot problems.  I'm
doing better with my trail diet.

Now I'm most concerned with the 90% mental part -- boredom, depression,
loneliness.  I don't really know techniques or ways to "train" in the next
three months to increase my ability to handle the inner workload.  I've
heard from the CDT hikers about the technique of taking an extra day in
town.  Any other tangible, non-vague techniques, methods, approaches, or
whatever that anyone can recommend from a successful PCT or CDT thru-hike?
 I'll carefully consider your suggestions and do my best to "train" with
them for the next three months, along with whatever I come up with on my
own.

One thing I've been thinking about a lot is the concept of living in the
moment; not abstracting to some faraway place to escape the pain or
difficulty.  I think this will help me handle inner things more completely,
rather than letting them build up in a vague sort of way.

-- Dave Stockton

David B. Stockton
davstock@tiac.net