Re: [pct-l] big pack orlittle pack

At 11:55 AM -0800 1/28/2000, Kelly Miller wrote:
>So, do I want to carry a 40 lb. load with a 1 pound pack or a 43 pound
>load with
>a 4 pound pack I know will handle that much weight.?
>
>I've ordered a G4 pack and am anxious to try it out.  For shorter trips,
>especially around here, it might just be ideal.  I don't need to carry
>water and
>the food for a short trip is just a few pounds.
>
>Over a long dry stretch of 7 days, you might at some point have 15 - 20 pounds
>of water plus 15 - 20 pounds of food...in addition to that 10 pound pack.  So,
>we have 40 pounds at least.  Or more.
>
>So, back to the original question.  The only salvation for the 1 pound pack is
>the lighter load  will hopefully allow you better mileage so not as much water
>or food is not needed.  But here we are talking only 3 pounds.  Could it make
>that big of a difference?

hmmm: ...getting out the calculator:

3 lbs times 5,280 feet divided by 2 feet per step divided by 2 again
because you only lift 1/2 the weight each step x 1 foot lift-height per step
average  = 3,960 lbs per mile.

1 Ton = 2000 lbs.  SO, you decide if you want to carry almost 2 tons extra
PER MILE.

but like you said-- it's only 3 lbs. Now after a 20 mile day that is
clearly a whole
lotta tonnage.

however, it is obviously relative; 3 lbs is not quite 10% of a 40 lb pack.
With enuf
10% decisions you can reduce your weight by 30%.  SO it is relative of course.
Even 5% makes a difference over 20 miles repeated 100 days...

Now compare that to your body- for a 150 lb person,that is 150 x (5280/4) x 1
= 198,000 lbs = 99 tons per mile. Not counting a pack which will add
another few tons. But it still is "just" a 10% decision either way you figure
it.

Quantifyingly yours,

Rich