[pct-l] Hiker Ages and Soap Operas

 When hiking the PCT in 1977, the ages of the thru-hikers were averaging in
the low twenties. I was 19 on the bottom end and David Green, writer of
Pacific Crest Trail Odyssey was 26 years old and one of the oldest. Today's
thru-hiker crowd are averaging much older with many past thru-hikers from the
PCT and AT rehiking  the trail in their 40's and older. This gives me hope
for a rehike of my own someday. When you are young, you could hike the PCT
with a couch or whatever on your back. Now that we're a touch older, the
lightness of some of the new ultra gear gives us older geezers and chance.
One other item  about thru-hiking that never gets brought out but stops many
Thu-hikers from finishing is the soap opera between the sexes. Many hikers,
male and female, start out solo but soon find a hiker of the opposite sex to
partner with. This often works out great with many hikers meeting their
future spouse on the trip. BUT in some cases, these partnerships end up
making a soap opera along the tightknit group of  thru-hikers and gossip. If
the partership breaks apart, one or both parties may be so disappointed they
simply " Quit the Trail". BEWARE  ----- Again, thank you to all the  new
ultra hikers who have built upon our heavyweight mistakes and brought thing
up a notch.  See you at the kick off!!!