Re: [pct-l] Journals

Stephen Martin wrote:

> Since I did a hiker journal I cannot comment since I'm biased ;^)
>
> But, I would like to know what would make a journal more interesting.
>
> >From my experience it was quite difficult to try and write something that
> would be informative or entertaining day after day. Especially at the end of
> a 30 mile day. After a while it's hard to make the trail interesting. And I
> would often find myself after dark writing by headlamp, while other trail
> friends had gone to sleep, wondering if it was worth the effort.
>
> So, I guess what I'm asking is what would you want to hear?
>
> Troubadour
Sorry, I haven't read your journal yet. I will look it up. There are so
many journals on line, it is hard to keep up, hence the question.
I've never tried to keep an on-line journal - that kind of pressure I
don't need. But I do keep a journal, which I type up after we get home.
I love both the writing and reading it long afterwards. I know what you
mean about being too tired at the end of the day to write much, or to
write with much enthusiasm. I found that if I wrote at lunch, when I was
fresher, and again for a few minutes at the end of the day, I had
clearer, more complete memories of the day. At the end of the day it can
be hard to find anything positive to say, while at noon I am generally
feeling good, appreciating the world around me, generally happy. Some
on-line journals end up being little but "Tired, hungry, ate rice for
dinner" day after day. I know, dinner may be the most important thing
that happened all day, but it doesn't inspire others to get out and
hike. Inside the weary hiker is someone who experienced a lot of
emotion, was surrounded by beauty, met interesting or kind people - in
short, had an adventure of one kind or another.  There is an AT journal
that was really good, "And then the Hail Came" that allowed you to
really feel like you know the author and to experience the reality of
his hike. So, other than your own, any favorites?
Ginny