[pct-l] y2k California A-E update

Posted by Ben Schifrin (exceeded max size, so I'm forwarding manually)

From: Ben Schifrin <benschif@sonnet.com>
Subject: PCT California Section A-E Y2K Update

Here is my update for California Sections A through E, for the year
2000 hiking season. These should be going to press in the next 2-3
weeks. If there are even more errors that you can ferret out, please
let me know ASAP, so we can get it into the published book insert in
time for the Annual Exodus.

As previously, you can get a hard-copy of the complete California
Update by calling or emailing Wilderness Press, directly-- it is free
with a SASE.

I'd especially like to thank the many correspondents who notified me
(often via pct-l) of changes in the trail, or errors in my previous
work:
        Valerie Sing,
        Pete Fish
        Brick Robbins
        Charlie Jones
        Lynn H Foss
        Jack Fair
        Jack Yates
        Carol Barrett
        John Hlavac
        Timothy R Connors
        Karen Elder
        Karl Duff
        Bruce Gilbert
        Chris Landa

Pacific Crest Trail Volume 1
Updates 2000

(Please note that this is cumulative, including my 1998 update. New
verbiage for year 200 is italicized).

A new National Forest Adventure Pass system for Angeles, Cleveland,
Los Padres and San Bernardino National Forests went into effect June
16, 1997.  The pass is required for all vehicles, if parking along
roads in those forests. It is not required for PCT travelers, per se.
Cost is $5 per visit to one forest, or $30 per year (good for all
four forests). Plans are to return 85% of collected monies to the
individual forest for human-use enhancing projects. Passes can be
purchased from the USFS, from southern California outdoor shops and
multiple vendors near or in the forests.

P 46, Supplies: Campo now also has a ranch supply store, with most
equestrian needs. A PCT Association trail register is kept at the
post office. Cameron Corners, one mile north of Campo on Highway 94,
has a hot dog stand, a convenience store and a branch of Wells Fargo
Bank.

P48, Col 1, Line 17: Fifty feet south of the border monument, another
dirt road has been bulldozed, parallel to the border. Its southern
verge, the border itself, is protected from the Mexican Hordes by a
4-to-6-foot-high fence of metal runway repair panels, painted
olive-green.

P48, Col 2, Par 2, Line 10: A 2000 acre fire that started near Tecate
in November 1995 burned eastward across the PCT's route from near the
border, and north past Castle Rock Ranch. Trail tread is still easily
visible.

P 49, Col 1, Par 3, Line 7: Highway 94: Fire has also burned the
chaparral here. The trail is still easily evident.

P 50, Col 2, Line 9: The park is now called, "John Lyons-Lake Morena
Regional Park".  A trailhead parking area with informational sign,
has now been constructed, but no primitive camping area has yet been
established.

P 51, Col 1, Par 2, Line 4: The road around Lake Morena's campground
perimeter is now paved.

P 51, Col 2, Line 1: PCT Association volunteers have installed new
signs leading north around Lake Morena, so now the route is
more-certain. Ignore intersecting paths made by local homeowners
which cross the PCT for lake access. Stay essentially level, and
don't  head away from the shore line until PCT emblems mark the way .

P 53, Col 2, Par 1, Line 5: Despite prior optimism about the fate of
the Boulder Oaks Store and trailer park, a federal court judge issued
a summary judgment May 25, 1999,  granting possession of the land to
the Forest Service, and evicting the store and park inhabitants. All
persons were to have left by August, 1999, but the decision is under
appeal. Plan to go without Cokes and beer until Mount Laguna.

P 56-57: Maps A7 & A8: The 35,080 acre Sawtooth Mountains Wilderness
was designated in 1994. It lies east of and below the PCT as it
courses around Stephenson Peak, Monument Peak and Garnet Peak.

P 57, Col 2, Par 2, Last line: The ex-Air Force installation on
Stephenson Peak is now a Federal Aviation Administration navigation
control site.

P 58, Col 2, Par 1, Line 3: Laguna Campground is now named, Laguna/El
Prado Campground.

P 58, Col 2, Last line: GATR Road: This intersection is now trail,
and marks an important detour to water: Just beyond a pipe
swing-gate, there is now an unmarked trail junction, where the road
bed used to be. Continuing straight ahead, northwest, a
recently-constructed spur trail curves gently down and west, then
momentarily south, to reach Sunrise Highway S1in less than 0.1 mile.
Here, a monument to the Penny Pines reforestation program stands
beside a busy trailhead parking area. Directly across 2-lane Highway
S1 is the start of Noble Canyon Trail 5E04, which strikes
west-southwest only 50 yards to find a permanent water supply. Here
lie a green faucet and a galvanized horse trough, in an open stand of
black oaks. This level flat is quite hospitable, but, unfortunately,
no camping is allowed in this vicinity.  A moment farther on is found
a junction with the southbound Big Laguna Trail, which heads back to
Mount Laguna.

Page 59, Col 2, Line 9: Water at Pioneer Mail Trailhead Picnic Area:
Getting water here is now more convenient: a 4-foot diameter concrete
water trough is now fed by the tank. It is alongside the trail, just
past the large trailhead information sign. Early-season hikers are
reminded that the tank is usually NOT filled until May. Contact
Cleveland National Forest's Descanso Ranger District before leaving
Mount Laguna, for the tank's status. Alternatively, contact the PCT
Association at: (telephone): 888 PC-TRAIL or, (internet):
www.gorp.com/pcta.

Page 61, Col. 2, Par. 1, Lines 4-8: Emergency water: If the spigot is
locked, look 10 feet uphill, in a grove of Coulter pines: the large
cistern has an unlocked metal access plate. But don't count on it!

P. 65, Col 2, Par 2: Water Access: Year 2000 is shaping up to be a
dry one, and a number of selfless volunteers have stepped in to help
with the already dicey water availability problem around the San
Felipe Hills. Members of the Sand Diego Chapter of the Sierra Club,
the PCT Association, and ADZPCTKO placed water bottles at Scissors
Crossing, and in the San Felipe Hills themselves, for the 1999 hiking
season. Current plans call for the same effort in late April of 2000.
However, this gracious act must not be counted-on, at one's peril!
The best way to monitor the water situation here, as well as
throughout southern California, is to subscribe to the outstanding
internet mail list, "PCT-L".   To join the verbal give-and-take, and
to read about the most up-to-date trail conditions, send an email to,
" pct-l@backcountry.net", with no subject, and a message that reads,
"subscribe pct-l [your email address]".

An alternative way to water from the Scissors Crossing environs would
be to hop on a bus, retreating west up to the cool green haven of
Julian. (See "Supplies", page 46). In 1999, a San Diego County bus
stopped at Scissors Crossing each morning at about 8:30 AM, and
returned by 5:30 PM. Contact San Diego County for an up-to-date
schedule.

P 69, Col 2, Line 6: Thanks to the efforts of PCT Association
volunteers, trail tread is now much better defined near San Ysidro
Creek.

P 74, Supplies: Warner Springs: The Warner Springs Golf Grill is a
delightful place to cool off and dine. It is located just south of
the gas station, which, in turn, is next to the post office. Pay
phones are available. The gas station has limited snack foods.
        The Valley Store, in Terwilliger, has now closed. Instead,
use Kamp Anza Kampground, as described on page 83, column 2. The
owners of this "Hikers' Oasis" are amazingly hospitable to PCT hikers
and equestrians. They will hold packages for through-hikers. Send
them to:
        c/o Your Name
        Kamp Anza Kampground
        41560 Terwilliger Road
        Space 19
        Anza CA 92539
        Phone: (909) 763-4819
They also have a web site: http://www.jps.net/thebear1/, and can be
contacted by email at: thebear1@jps.net
By prior arrangement, they have previously cached water for hikers,
in the area.

P 78, Col 1, Par 2: Water Access: Indian Flats Campground is now
closed, due to the presence of an endangered toad. Please rewater and
camp at Lost Valley Spring, instead.

Page 78, Col 1, Par 3, Line 5: Lost Valley Spring. The spring has
been rehabilitated, and has continued to flow during recent summers.
Check it out.

P 78, Col 2, Par 2: Water Access: A sign on the tank in 1999 gave
permission from its owners to take some water without first asking at
the house, below. Be sure to close the valve!

P 88, Col 2, Par 4, Line 9: Fobes Saddle: PCT Association volunteers
rerouted about 1/4 mile of the PCT just south of the saddle. The spur
path west down to the spring was also brushed-out.

P 91, Col 1, Par 2, Last line: Mount San Jacinto State Park personnel
have expressed concern that some PCT hikers do not fully understand
specific restrictions within that park.  Please note that all camping
must be in designated sites only. Along the PCT, there is only one
approved camp site: at Strawberry Junction Trail Camp. USFS
Wilderness Permits are NOT valid for camping in the State Park. You
must get a separate camping permit for a specific date, to use State
Park campsites. No dogs or fires are ever allowed within the State
Park. PCT travelers are welcome at the Park's "Hike and Bike"
campsite in Idyllwild, near the ranger station. Phone (909) 659-2607.

P91 Col 1, Side Route: "Marion Ridge Trail": should be named, "Deer
Springs Trail".

P 93, Col 2, Par 3, Line 17: Snow Canyon Road: There is now a 3-foot
tall concrete water fountain at the trail junction. The defunct
dead-end trail that continued across the road is no longer evident.

P 99, Par 3: Supplies: Interstate 15: As of January 2000, there are 3
mini markets, 3 gas stations, two fast-food restaurants and a motel
at this junction. See the more complete discussion for page 125,
below.

P 102, Col 2, Par 2, Line 20: narrow pass: This is now the
approximate southern boundary of the expanded San Gorgonio Wilderness
Area, which the PCT will climb through, until the head of North Fork
Mission Creek.

P 103, Col 1, Par 2, Line 9: Whitewater Canyon: Hikers have been
consistently unwelcome at the Whitewater Trout Farm, in a beckoning
oasis of trees and lush grass, just across the Whitewater River, to
the east. Please avoid this private property.

P. 103, Col 2, Par 2: East Fork Mission Creek: Mission Creek Ranch,
which owns land traversed by the PCT, alternating in a checkerboard
fashion with BLM, has now been purchased by the Wildlands
Conservancy. The good news for all travelers, is that all cattle
grazing has been eliminated from the area, which should make
campsites and water much cleaner. The bad news, for some, is that ,
since the area is now being managed with a more-aggressive pure
wilderness ethic, the popular "HikerHaven" a private wilderness
hostel in South Fork Mission Creek canyon is being dismantled. (This
camp was mentioned in the 1998 Supplement, and lies on La Sierra
College property.)

P 110 and 113: Maps C6 and C8: The road identified on the maps as
3N08 has been redesignated as 3N16, both on-the-ground, and on the
new USFS map. Note, however, that the designation, 3N08, on the road
near Hitchcock Spring, on the northwest corner of Map C8, is correct.

P 112, Col 1, Line 1: Doble Road 3N08: This is now signed and designated
3N16.

P 116, Col 1, Par 1, Line 9: Crab Flats Road 3N16: The PCT from this
point, all of the way down Holcomb Creek and Deep Creek, to Mojave
River Forks Reservoir dam, has been closed by the massive and
devastating Willow Fire, which began August 28, 1999. A sign at the
road crossing notes the closure. USFS and PCT Association crews plan
to rehabilitate the trail during Spring and Summer of 2000, but
through-travelers this year should plan to use the 25.0-mile
alternate route, which adds 3.1 miles to the journey, to regain PCT
tread west of the reservoir. Short-section hikers should plan to go
elsewhere. There are, unfortunately, persistent rumors among USFS
personnel that the entire 21.9  mile trail segment will not be
reopened at all during calendar year 2000. There are two sources of
accurate information on trail conditions:

        San Bernardino National Forest
        Arrowhead Ranger District
        PO Box 7
        28104 Highway 18, Skyforest
        Rimforest CA 92378
        (909) 337-2444
        Ask to speak to a recreation assistant.

        Bill McConnell
        PCTA Area Coordinator
        P.O. Box 49
        Big Bear Lake, Ca 92315
        (909) 878-4803
        www.gorp.com.pcta (PCT Asociation website)
        888 PC-TRAIL (PCT Association information phone)

The temporary route follows. It spends a number of miles traversing
along 2 lane paved mountain roads, circumnavigating Lake Arrowhead.
There is very little road shoulder in many places, and a fair amount
of auto traffic. Hence, It is an unwise option for equestrians or
groups with children or dogs-- the author recommends skipping this
segment, under those circumstances. One potential advantage of this
route, over the traditional PCT alignment in Deep Creek, is that the
way leads directly past Cedar Glen Post Office and the the village of
Cedar Glen, on the east shore of Lake Arrowhead. This is a good
opportunity for resupply, a hotel room with a hot shower, and a
restaurant meal.

Before leaving Holcomb Creek, be sure to fill our water bottles--
there is none on the temporary route until Crab Flats Campground, in
3.0 miles. Instead of following the PCT along the south bank of
Holcomb Creek, turn left, west, gently up along Crab Flats Road 3N16.
It is paved for a few minutes, then turns to dirt, for a long
traversing ascent. All of the terrain to the north, in Holcomb Creek
and beyond, was charred in the Willow Fire. The fire lines held at
Crab Flats Road, however, so all the vegetation to the south is
unharmed. This offers little comfort, however-- the way is sunny,
shadeless and hot, in open chaparral and forest. Our only vistas are
of demoralizing blackened hillsides. After a bit over two miles, we
cap a shoulder and descend easily, once again on pavement for a few
minutes, to a junction with dirt Road 3N34, (5920--2.8), beside a
squat concrete water tank. A sign here points out that we could
continue left, south, up on still-paved Road 3N16 to the small
mountain resort of Green Valley Lake, in about 5 miles.

Our temporary route instead veers north, right, gently climbing onto
a comfortable forested plateau, where we find Crab Flats Campground
(5940 0.2), with tables, toilets, and piped water. The next certain
water for the northbound is at Deep Creek 's T6 Crossing, in 3.5
miles.

  Leaving Crab Flats, Road 3N34 becomes incrementally more narrow and
rough. It drops northwest down a ridgetop, past now-closed Crab Flats
Trail 2W08 (5835-0.1), which heads to the bottom of Holcomb Creek.
Now passing numerous lesser OHV and logging roads, some signed, some
not, our road wends across a rolling forest. Soon enough, we find the
signed entrance to Tent Peg Group Campground (5760-0.8), which is
waterless. A couple minutes later, the road widens into a pull-out
for the signed Crab Creek Trail 2W07 (5750-0.1), which branches left,
west from our rough road, headed down into the upper reaches of Deep
Creek. Hereafter, our road turns more steeply downhill, and becomes
passable to 4-wheel drive vehicles only-- plan to encounter many of
them. Our line of descent leads generally northwest, across a low
valley. We then head more steeply down in hot, dry chaparral dotted
with ponderosa pines. As before, the land to our north is extensively
burned. In good years, trickling Dishpan Spring (5320-1.0) may
moisten the road bed and invite a brief stop, but the best break will
be had at the foot of the descent, at a ford of wide, cool Deep Creek
called T6 Crossing (4675-1.6).

Wade or boulder-hop across Deep Creek, then gently ascend Road 3N34
to atop a low spur, where we encounter a rough fisherman's trail that
wanders northeast down a fuel-break to the confluence of Hooks and
Deep creeks. Now we contour easily southwest to the floor of Hooks
Creek, where we find good dirt Hook Creek Road 2N26Y (4685-0.6).
[Tom; note no "s" in Hook Creek Road, even though it is Hooks Creek]
Here, Road 3N34 turns down-canyon, and we could follow it, on a hot,
dusty tortuous route across the burned chaparral uplands of Willow
Creek, eventually reaching the more-paved temporary route, along
Highway 173. The author does not recommend it, however. Despite the
pavement and cars, the temporary route around Lake Arrowhead is
vastly more scenic, cooler, unburned, and has good access to water,
camping and amenities. Instead, turn left, southwest, up-canyon along
well-shaded Hook Creek Road. In just 50 yards, the Little Bear Trail
branches right, northwest away from the road, bound for Road 2N25 in
about 2 miles, and North Shore Campground in another one-half mile.
This is rather a pointless exercise, too, since we would then be
forced to backtrack 1.2 miles to the post office at Cedar Glen.
Rather, continue uphill on the road, stepping across ever flowing
Hooks Creek (4680-0.2) in a few more minutes. Continue ascending in
open shade, and eventually, we find homes lining the roadside, and
the dirt underfoot becomes a narrow, shaded pavement (4920-0.8). From
here to the head of the canyon, our way is quite close to Hooks
Creek, which serves as a cool, if contaminated water source. As we
ascend, the road widens and the homes become more upscale. Stay on
Hook Creek Road, avoiding numerous side-streets. We crest a low gap,
then descend momentarily to the village of Cedar Glen at paved
Highway 173 (5240-2.3). Just before the intersection is a shopping
complex with the post office, an inn, a restaurant, a tavern and a
hardware store. Karate and dance schools and a hair-dresser round out
all the services that a hiker might need. A gas station sits at the
intersection, and when we turn right, northwest down along busy
Highway 173, we find a grocery store. Continue carefully north on
Highway 173's shoulder, soon glimpsing the over built shores of Lake
Arrowhead. In a bit, we walk levelly across its dammed outlet, then
climb past a marina to paved Road 2N25 (5220-1.2). This is the
entrance to Mountains Community Hospital, and continues 0.4 mile east
to North Shore Campground, a large busy USFS complex with traditional
accommodations. This serves as the last cool and comfortable camping
until Silverwood Lake.

The next morning, return to Highway 173, turn north, and trace it
past a fire station, churches, homes and schools, undulating through
open forest . After North Bay Road (5080-1.4), we leave most of the
habitations behind, and wind northwesterly, then more westward,
across a litany of ridges and dry canyons. Thankfully, there is some
shade, and a few vistas northeast over the immense Willow Fire's
scorched path. Eventually, we pass paved Grass Valley Road (4885-3.4)
which climbs south, back to civilization at Deer Lodge Park and
beyond, to the west shore of Lake Arrowhead. Further gentle descent
leads to warmer and brushier surroundings at Rock Camp USFS Guard
Station (4860 0.2), which is staffed only seasonally.

Our road narrows as the easy descent continues, through a Penny Pines
tree plantation, into the dry headwaters of Kinley Creek. Presently,
we find a 4-foot tall grey concrete CDF water tank (4800-0.5), just
east of the road. It has an access hole in its top, and is usually
partially full. Tank up-- the way is completely shadeless, and much
hotter, between here and Silverwood Lake. The next water is 0.5-1.0
mile off-route, at the bottom of our upcoming descent, at the mouth
of Deep Creek. Adequate emergency camps could be made in flats west
of the road.

A bit later, we pass the Arrowhead Fish & Game Conservation Club's
rifle range (4755-0.3), and a short time after that, pavement turns
to dirt . Minutes beyond, Willow Creek Road 3N34 (4720-0.5) branches
east, and we again find that our route, Highway 173, which continues
gently north-northwest, formed the ultimate fire-break in the battle
against the Willow Fire. From here to Mojave River Forks Reservoir,
all terrain north and east of our road is dead and black. And, it is
hot-- with each yard, we can feel the extreme heat rising from the
approaching Mojave Desert, to our north. This stretch is best tackled
in the cool of morning. The road takes a direct line, usually on a
gentle descent. We cross a low divide, then turn northwest, past
appropriately-named Burnt Flats, and begin a hotter, more-earnest
descent along the lower south canyon wall of burnt-bare Deep Creek.
The creek's inviting waters remain tantalizingly out of reach, about
600 feet below our road, as we traverse a sparsely-vegetated,
white-hot hillside. Eventually, we traverse above the mammoth
earthenworks of Mojave River Forks Reservoir 's dam, and we can see
the tread of the PCT's route out of Deep Creek, descending to it.
Finally, 2 paved switchbacks lower us to the pediment flats on the
south shore of the never-filled "reservoir", and we meet the PCT
(3190 -6.9). This point is described on Page 119, column 1, paragraph
2, last line.

Before continuing onward, you would be well-advised to detour north
and east down the PCT , anywhere from 0.5 to 1.0 mile, to get water
from Deep Creek-- the next north-bound water is in 15.2 miles, at
Silverwood State Park, while the next certain water, for those
heading south, is from North Shore Campground, in over 12.9 miles,
(although there is a usually-filled water tank in 7.8 miles).

P. 120, Col 1, Line 3 from bottom: Substitute: "About half way to
Silverwood Lake you come to a flat area where an ascending jeep road
from Highway l73 seems to terminate upon reaching the PCT (3480- 2.6)"

P 123, map C16: The black trail line was printed about one twelfth of
an inch too low.

P 124, Col 2, Par 2, Line 2: Little Horsethief Canyon: Another fire
has charred this area. It did not affect navigation.

P 125, Col 2: Resupply access: Civilization has finally come to the
PCT. Tiffany's Restaurant, at the Route 138 cloverleaf, is now
closed. However, as of January 2000, the junction now sports 3 gas
stations, 3 well-stocked mini-marts and a pleasant motel. Also sited
there are two of the objects of many hikers' fantasies: McDonald's
and Del Taco restaurants! Undoubtedly, an art museum, opera house and
a university are not far behind.

The owners of the motel, the ECONOmy Inn, located at that junction,
have agreed to hold supply boxes for hikers who will rent a room for
at least one night. This is an excellent option, because camping
nearby is generally terrible, and, besides, they have a swimming pool
an hot tub! Resupply here allows one to avoid the detour to
Wrightwood . For details, contact:
        ECONOmy Inn
        8317 U. S. Hwy 138
        Phelan, CA 92371
        Telephone: (760) 249-6777
        Manager: Mr. Vinod Somani

P 128: Supplies: See the above comments for resupply at the start of
Section D.

P 129, Supplies: Line 4: Agua Dulce: As of January 2000, postal
services for PCT travelers through Agua Dulce are located at:
        Agua Dulce Market
        c/o General Delivery
        33301 Agua Dulce Canyon Road
        Agua Dulce, CA 91350

Note that this is not a complete post office (the closest is in
Acton), but they attempt to be of any service. The store's owners
have gone out of their way to stock items needed by through-hikers.
They maintain a hiker's box and host at PCT register. They also boast
a deli counter. They deserve our patronage.
Agua Dulce also has a veterinarian's office. This area may have the
largest concentration of "trail angels" anywhere along the length of
the PCT-- ask around for places to overnight and shower.

P 132, Col. 1, Par 2: Substitute: "Soon the trail crosses the newer
Southern Pacific Railroad tracks (3020-0.8) and swings to the right
along a dirt access road for 30 yards, before bending southwest to
wind....alluvium. At one point you amble south along a jeep road
(keeping to the right where the road forks) for 100 yards, before
trail tread resumes on the right side of the road."

P 132, Col. 1, Last Par: Insert a second sentence: "Upon reaching the
second powerline road, ascend south up the road for 150 yards before
resuming trail tread on the right side of the road."

P 136, Col 2, Line 3: The Narrows Fire, a 9,437-acre wildfire, burned
a large portion of the headwaters of East Fork of San Gabriel River
canyon hereabouts during August, 1997. It was started by a hiker who
was conscientiously, but unwisely, burning toilet paper. Suppression
of the blaze required 1,700 firefighters from 18 agencies, 10 air
tankers, 21 helicopters, seven bulldozers and 12 water tenders. The
cost: an estimated $8 million. We will encounter burned terrain
off-and-on, all along upper Blue Ridge, to Grassy Hollow Visitor
Center.

P 145, Col 2, Par 1, Line 8: Undulating traverse: Just as this
traverse turns south, there is now a very short, signed side-trail
that drops 80 feet down to cross dirt Road 4N24 and finds the new,
waterless location of Big Buck Trail Camp. It sits just off the road
in a pine plantation. The old location was along a fire-break, and
was removed.

P 145, Last line: The next certain water is at North Fork Ranger
Station, in 5.5 miles. Water is variably found in early spring just
before the PCT crosses Moody Canyon Road-1.4 miles from Messenger
Fiats Campground.

P 149, Par. 1, Line 24: Mattox Canyon creek: There may be no water in
the stream bed where the PCT crosses. However, there may be a very
nice flow a short way up-canyon.

P 150, Col. 1, Par 2: This section, which changes with every spring's
floods, is often confusing. The overall directions, however, are
constant: Having emerged from your sometimes-wet ford of the river,
the trail climbs a few feet as it swings around to the right. The
indistinct path empties you onto a flat alluvial maze of dirt roads,
debris piles, and other assorted rubble. Don't dismay if you lose the
route; simply head north toward the far valley wall. Find a dirt road
adjacent to a barbed wire fence, then follow the road a short
distance right, east, to where you come to a break in the fence
marked with PCT emblems. These usher you left, north... (continue on
p. 151).

P 151, Col 1, Par 2, Line 16: The gap near the head of Bobcat Canyon
is at an elevation of 2780, not 2980.

P 151, Col. 2, Last Par, Line 4: After the first two sentences,
substitute this description of  new alignment: "Looking north, one
sees  the old PCT leading steeply up a hillside.  However, the PCT
continues to head  downstream, crossing the creek six more times
until finally turning west and heading up and over the southwest end
of a  ridge. After about 200 yards your trail  drifts downhill a bit
and comes to a four way junction.  An equestrian trail takes off to
the left, but you follow the PCT to  the right, heading northeast up
a very  steep section of trail that deposits you on  a little-used
dirt road on the north rim of  Escondido Canyon. Once on the rim  you
start a very gentle... junction (2535-0  9), by a yellow pipe post.
Head left down  this dirt road for a short distance to another PCT
marker. Turn right at this  marker and follow a new section of PCT
as it loops around north of a large grassy  area. The path then
rounds north of the two most spectacular rock outcroppings (made
famous by dozens of cowboy movies and TV ads). The trail  eventually
passes within 50 feet of a  trailhead parking area and continues
around half a dozen clifflets to strike paved Escondido Canyon Road
(2510-0.9).

P 152, Col. 2, Line 1: Camping is now allowed at Vasquez Rocks County
Park.

P 152, Col 2, Par 2, Line 1: Escondido Canyon Road: This road-walk
will be eliminated in the next few years. Due in large part to
tireless lobbying by the PCT Association, $1.5 million was
appropriated in December 1999 for a 3-mile connector between trail in
Vasquez Rocks and lower Mint Canyon.

P 156: Section E Mileage Summary: North-to-South mileages do not add
up on the chart.The mileages in the last column should be: 108.8,
107.0, 100.7, 98.5, 92.4, 86.1, 78.5, 71.5, 65.5, 61.2, 54.4, 47.7,
45.9, 42.4, 31.3, 24.7, 20.8, 8.6.

P 156: Supplies: For Agua Dulce, see the discussion for page 129, above.

P 157, Line 3: Supplies: Mojave has upped the ante in the battle with
Tehachapi for PCT hikers' dollars. A large shopping center, with fast
food, pharmacy and groceries, now sits at the junction of Highway 58
and Highway 14, making it quite convenient, for those who do not have
to continue on to the post office.

P 157: Water: Be aware that, as of Spring 1998, all campground water
in the Saugus District of Angeles National Forest (north of Agua
Dulce) has been turned off, because of uncertain contamination of the
water supplies with giardia and cryptosporidia. This should not
inconvenience PCT travelers overly, since the (untreated) streams and
springs that supply the campgrounds are still as accessible as ever.
Purification of all water sources must be considered.

P 160, Col. 1, Par. 2: The first sentence should finish: "...then
ascends moderately again, staying left at the first fork in the road,
but going steeply uphill (next to a chain link fence) at the second
fork in the road, to trail tread some 50 yards past a large steel
electrical tower."

P 160, Col 1, Last par: Substitute this beginning: "Leaving the
saddle, one sees the old Big Tree Trail heading steeply up the spine
of the ridge. The PCT, however, starts a traverse to the left of the
ridge, gaining elevation gradually at first, and then more rapidly as
it drifts off to the northwest. Eventually, you switchback steeply up
almost to the ridge, where you switchback again, back to the north.
The climb moderates...on Sierra Pelona Ridge Road 6N07 (4500 2.7)."

P 160, Col. 2, Line 7: Bear Spring is about 35 feet uphill from the
trail, not the metal trough below the trail.

P. 160-61, Mileages: The last mileage on page 160 should be, " ... a
junction (3785-0.6)",  and the first on page 161 should be, "...
Bouquet Canyon Road 6N05 (3340-0.9)."

P 161, Col 2, Line 2: A fire in September 1996 burned the hillside on
the north slope of Bouquet Canyon. The PCT is still passable.

P 164, Col 1, par 2, Line 17: Green Valley Ranger Station: San
Francisquito Picnic Area is closed, but picnic facilities and water
are still available in front of the fire station. San Francisquito
Campground no longer exists, but there is a trail camp near the
ranger station. A restaurant is now found at the junction of San
Francisquito Canyon Road and Spunky Canyon Road, 1.7 miles southwest
of the ranger station.

P 165, Col 1, Resupply access: There is now a small convenience store
at the intersection of Elizabeth Lake Canyon Road and Newvale Drive.

P 167, Col 1, Par 2, Line 6: Upper Shake Campground: Water here is
turned off, indefinitely, due to the protozoal scare. Go to the creek
for seasonal water, which flows well into summer of most years.

P 171, Col 2, Par 1, Line 7: 270th Street West: This is now signed
as, "269th Street West".

P 171, Col 2, Par 2, 2nd to Last line: "The Country Store", is about
1.3 miles west on Hwy 138. Use it as a resupply point, if needed,
instead of going to Tehachapi or Lancaster. Seven days a week, you'll
find water, cold drinks and snacks, minimal groceries, medical items
and a phone. Also available are horse feed, a corral, and even a PCT
Association trail register. The Country Store will accept PCT
traveler's resupply boxes and hold them for no charge. Send them to:
                c/o Your Name
                The Country Store
                Star Route 138 (mail)
                28105 Hwy 138 (UPS direct)
                Lancaster, CA 93536-9207
                Phone (805) 724-9097

P 171, Col 2, Par 3, Line 3: Although the signs and gates still
exist, the trail tread between Highway 138 and Old Lancaster Road has
fallen into disuse. Walk the quiet shoulder of 269th Street West,
instead.

P 171, Col 2, Par 3, 4th from Bottom: The first road of this pair,
260th Street West, is now paved. Much of the route north from here
has been re-marked by (hopefully) indestructible 3-foot-tall
brown-painted iron posts, each emblazoned with a large white PCT
emblem.

P 175, Col 2, Par 2, Line 18: Trail tread vanishes: Trail crews
completed tread in this area, so the trail is no longer indistinct.
One does not need to rely on the wooden survey stakes. However,
dirt-bikers have used the trail heavily, and have created many
diverging, and sometimes confusing, paths.

P 175, Col 2, par 2, Line 5 from Bottom: Old fence posts: They are now
gone.

P 177, Col 1, Par 2, Line 12: Tylerhorse Canyon: Camp sensibly. Many
dirt bike riders ride through the canyon, sometimes even at night.

P 177, Col. 1, Par. 3, Line 9: There is probably water in Gamble
Spring Canyon in springtime, but it cannot be relied upon.

P 179, Par 2: Resupply access: Locals consider Tehachapi-Willow
Springs Road to be treacherous for foot traffic-- walk carefully.

P 179. Par 2, Second Line from Bottom: Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road:
The actual 12 miles south from this point to Mojave is first on
Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road, which then tees onto Oak Creek Canyon
Road for the rest of the trip into Mojave.

P 181, Col 2, Line 11: 4x4 posts: These are now gone, replaced by
brown plastci PCT markers, all the way out to Highway 58.

P 181, Col 2, Resupply access: Add to last line: To walk into
Tehachapi, avoid Highway 58. Instead, turn left, west, along the
aforementioned railroad tracks. Walk the roadbed that parallels the
railroad, keeping well away from the  heavily used tracks. Cross
under Highway 58 in 1.5 miles, and then at the first opportunity,
walk north over to paved Tehachapi  Road, which parallels the tracks
and the  freeway. You should be able to hitch a ride  here. Continue
west on that road 7.5 miles  more to town and the post office, which
is two blocks left on Green Street. You  pass a Travelodge with a gas
station, restaurant, bar and  minimart at the Steuber Road
intersection, 2.0 miles before you reach the center of town.
        Tehachapi Post Office is now north of Hwy 58 on North Mill
Street, across from the AM/PM Mini Market. This location is,
unfortunately, less-convenient to hikers. Ask anyone in town for
directions.

--============_-1263948699==_ma============

[...]

<bigger>Pacific Crest Trail Volume 1

Updates 2000

</bigger>(Please note that this is cumulative, including my 1998
update. <italic>New verbiage for year 200 is italicized).

</italic>A new National Forest Adventure Pass system for Angeles,
Cleveland, Los Padres and San Bernardino National Forests went into
effect June 16, 1997.  The pass is required for all vehicles, if
parking along roads in those forests. It is not required for PCT
travelers, per se. Cost is $5 per visit to one forest, or $30 per year
(good for all four forests). Plans are to return 85% of collected
monies to the individual forest for human-use enhancing projects.
Passes can be purchased from the USFS, from southern California outdoor
shops and multiple vendors near or in the forests.

<bold>P 46, Supplies: </bold>Campo now also has a ranch supply store,
with most equestrian needs. A PCT Association trail register is kept at
the post office. Cameron Corners, one mile north of Campo on Highway
94, has a hot dog stand, a convenience store and a branch of Wells
Fargo Bank.

<bold>P48, Col 1, Line 17:</bold> Fifty feet south of the border
monument, another dirt road has been bulldozed, parallel to the border.
Its southern verge, the border itself, is protected from the Mexican
Hordes by a 4-to-6-foot-high fence of metal runway repair panels,
painted olive-green.

<bold>P48, Col 2, Par 2, Line 10: </bold>A 2000 acre fire that started
near Tecate in November 1995 burned eastward across the PCT's route
from near the border, and north past Castle Rock Ranch. Trail tread is
still easily visible.

Highway 94: Fire has also burned the chaparral here. The trail is still
easily evident.

"John Lyons-Lake Morena Regional Park".  A trailhead parking area with
informational sign, has now been constructed, but no primitive camping
area has yet been established.

<bold>P 51, Col 1, Par 2, Line 4:</bold> The road around Lake Morena's
campground perimeter is now paved.

<bold>P 51, Col 2, Line 1: </bold>PCT Association volunteers have

</fontfamily>