Re: [pct-l] Re: pct water

In a message dated 1/14/00 8:44:18 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
Joncorps@aol.com writes:

<<  i am planning a california hike,
 and am curious how accurate the guidebook is concerning water availibility.
 can anyone offer any advice/suggestions on this? >>

This coming year looks to be a lighter snow year than last, and if you go by
the Data Book and figure you needs accordingly, you shouldn't have a problem,
as last year, there was water everywhere, including the "usually dry creeks."
 Note: they (the creeks) may actually be dry this year.

Plus you'll find, through the kind efforts of others, water stashes along the
way.  For the most part, I assumed there wouldn't be any water left, and
carried enough to get me through a certain section and if I reached a water
stash (with water), I'd camel up.

That said, it may take awhile before you become accustomed to the solar
exposure you'll be hiking under in Southern Cal. and I feel it best to carry
a little extra water until you do acquaint yourself.  Water is life.

Sly  (the guy that dumped them by the gallon : )