[pct-l] Self arrest with trekking poles, and Self Arrest Ski Poles

I'd like to remind everyone that there was a PCT Thru-Hiker fatal accident
last season from a non-self arrested fall on a steep pass.

I believe that this hiker was carrying trekking poles (somebody confirm or
correct this?), and it didn't stop his final fall.

Food for thought.................

Also, I own self-arrest ski poles.
They work fairly well on any snow pack you might be willing to ski on, but
in '95 when I used one on my hike, I crossed one snowfield (Kerrick canyon,
just north of yosemtite) that were was too icy for it. If I had slipped I
would have been frozen dead meat in the River below the snow slope.

If I had been a little more patient, and had waited for the snow to soften
it wouldn't have been a problem.

You can see what they look like see at
http://www.offpiste.com/Pages/poles.html and look for the Black Diamond
Whippet and The Claw (Ramer).

I use the Ramer.

If I had it to do over I'd carry a light axe instead of the self-arrest
pole handle.

-brick