[pct-l] Adjustability is IMPORTANT for Trekking Poles

At least for me, with a bit of carpel tunnel and not very strong wrists.
When I first got my poles, I had them adjusted too high, and my wrists
became quite sore.  Reducing the lenght a few inches...perfect.  In long up
hill climbs, with regular ski poles, you would have to unstrap and hold the
shank below the grips to maintain the necessary angle...another vote for
adjustable (even with adjustables, I "slide down" for short climbs).  On
smooth, flat trails I sometimes collapse the poles, and slip them into a
vertical pack pocket (don't know what it was originally for, but they fit
nicely), to give my upper body a rest...not often though.  The extra
stability with the poles allows me to look around at the scenery much more
frequently and with less risk of tripping (someone else posted that the
poles made it HARDER to look away from the trail...not my experience once
the poles became "part of me.")  Heck, I do night (only time I have for it!)
training hikes with full pack at reasonable speed without light...wouldn't
dream of it without trekking poles.

Although I too worry a bit about the damage carbide tips do, they are
operationally excellent!

Thanks to everyone for posting their thoughts...lots of good ideas here!

Pete

"When you feel the winds of change, build a windmill, not a windbreak"
http://asprey.net/pete