[pct-l] section D Vasquez Rocks to Soledad Canyon

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Wed Jun 15 08:28:00 CDT 2022

To finish my report on western section D report I went southbound.
Trail conditions were the
usual for sec D, and no obstacles blocking stock.
I managed to not find the PCT
until I got to the Pepper Tree, but enjoyed the walk through the iconic rocks.

Surprisingly, water crossed the trail twice in Escondido Canyon.    The
first flow that northbound hikers encounter is much the better.
The tunnel under the freeway from desert to oasis is always amazing.

There was water in the Santa Clara "River" and bits of logs to step across.
But the LA RV Resort, or Action Camp, which used to be a KOA, is nearby
and lots of hikers rehydrated there.    There were a couple dozen on the
trail this day.

https://larvresort.com/

That was all the water on the trail.    At Vasquez Rocks, water is only
available inside the vistor center when the visitor center is open

https://parks.lacounty.gov/vasquez-rocks-natural-area-and-nature-center/

That's 8am to 7:30pm except Monday, but it seemed to be closed Tuesday
June 14 as well.

Soledad Canyon is not quite the armpit of the PCT that I remembered from
15 years ago - it was not hard to follow the trail.

The PCT completion monument is still there - right next to the railroad track.
Why didn't they
put the monument someplace appropriate, like near the midpoint, say at the
Feather River Bridge?   Because the dignitaries would not have survived the hike
to the ceremony.

That's enough 90-degree weather for me.    If I get another chance for a
trip, it will be to finish section J.

To finish M and N I need to get from Buck Meadows to Humbug Summit, but
that area seems to burn every year and it's got to be a challenge at best.
Belden Town still seems to be there

https://beldentown.com/

but it's for sale.

David Hough