[pct-l] Triple Crown and all finishing certificates and medals

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 14 23:23:15 CDT 2022

To the hiker community
Just a reminder to anybody that might be listening.
 It’s hard to imagine that anyone does not understand the standard for a hike of any of the trails and the Triple Crown but I have discovered from talking to hundreds of hikers that each year strange ideas get into hiker’s brains and then those ideas get passed around as though they are the truth.

Any forward movement by vehicle ,instead of walking ,on any of the trails does not constitute a continuous footpath. It does not matter what your reason is. There is only one very low bar —-a continuous footpath with reasonable alternatives. You can take one year or forty to accomplish that goal. You aren’t getting a participation medal. No one is owed a Triple Crown. You earn it.
That could mean a section of any of the trails might be closed in the year that you do it. This year on the CDT 200 miles of New Mexico were recently closed because of extreme fire danger and most likely Yellowstone will be closed because of a devastating flood. Many times that means taking an alternative trail route, a dirt or even a paved road. I’ve walked my share of paved roads. Sometimes it was because I was required to and sometimes it was around a fire or the only way I could be sure there was water. The logical and expected behavior is to hike the alternative or if you skip (hitch)it ,go back later and hike that section. You must do that before you apply for a finishing medal or certificate from the trail organizations. Especially do that before you apply for a Triple Crown.
On the ALDHAWEST website it states the criteria. It also states that most hikers are honest. Unfortunately, after hearing endless rationalizations by hikers of why they skip(hitch by vehicle ) sections, I’m beginning to doubt that “most hikers are honest “. I think that some hikers are honest. I have heard the most bizarre stories of why it is ok that they lie when applying for a Triple Crown. And it is a lie, because if they know that if they told the truth the TC coordinator or the board would say “that’s nice, now go out and finish the trail and then apply”.
In the last 5-6 years I have been out on all the big three. As a part of an outreach, I invite every hiker I meet to the Gathering. For that reason many people start telling me how many hikers they know who have lied about accomplishing the Triple Crown. That just adds to my own observations and listened to excuses from hikers about deserving a TC without actually earning one. One couple that I ran into on the CDT recently gave the excuse that they had done what they called “extra miles” around a fire closure so that it was ok that they hitched. They hitched a 16 mile road walk—about 4-5 hours of hiking Are you joking!! As we all know sometimes it is necessary to do 20-30-40 extra miles to get through some alternative pass because of avalanche or white-out or injury or fire or flood or even lack of water. I’ve certainly done that. I have no idea how many miles I did on the CDT the first time because I was constantly having to regroup ,look at maps again and get back on trail after rerouting myself around some impediment. Or,once again I was just lost and trying find my way back to the route. Twice that meant an over 40 mile detour. And those were not the only detours that I did and had to then walk myself back to the route. You still have to connect the footprints. That’s just the way it is. No excuses that you need to catch up with your friends or your feet hurt or it’s too hot or you just don’t want to. I’m guessing I can trust that the first 50-200 people on the TC list really earned it. It was after that point I started to hear the stories about people who were on the list who lied. Before that it’s probably trustworthy because it’s hard to hide cheating behavior if everyone knows you and they wonder how you got to town so fast.  Some people who applied in the past were asked to describe their hike and thankfully a number of them just disappeared with their phony applications. After that time ,unfortunately,I’ve started to have my doubts. Isn’t that sad and pathetic. I’ve lost my trust in hiker’s honesty,because of how many people ,with no shame,have told me what they did (skipped by vehicle)or I have observed it myself. Recently there has developed a view on the AT that since the AT rocker says 2,000 miles then a hiker is allowed to skip 192 miles and still say that they hiked the whole trail. I heard numerous hikers say this over a three year period. I guess it just too difficult for them to honestly hike the whole trail. They do not seem to be embarrassed about talking about their intent to cheat and lie about it. You can do whatever you want on any trail. Please do. That is exactly the point of “hike your own hike”. No one cares. The only problem arises when you attempt to take credit for something you did not do.
Very soon people will start applying for their Triple Crown Awards.
Please do not apply for a Triple Crown unless you have a continuous footpath on the AT, PCT and the CDT. The important word is footpath. It is the minimum and only standard. It is on your honor.
Pass this around.
Thank you for listening
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone