[pct-l] a hot time at the end of section D

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Sun Jun 12 08:39:17 CDT 2022

The high was probably 100 in Soledad Canyon yesterday, and I am still
rehydrating - even beer seems less attractive than tap water.

However it was more comfortable 80's most of the day starting from about
half a mile west of Messenger Flats.    It was only four miles to North Fork
but already it seemed like an oasis - drinking water that wasn't too hot
to drink!    Tables with shade and a breeze!   A pit toilet!    One can
only imagine how much more inviting to through hikers - we saw one at
Soledad Canyon in the morning and three setting out from the KOA in the
evening as it cooled off.

The trail was in pretty good shape - a little brush overgrowing here, a little
slipsliding of trail there - nothing blocking to equestrians.
The Indian Canyon road was gated closed at Soledad Canyon, and the approach
from the ridge was gated closed near our start point.

The ridge road was easily passable by ordinary cars, and still paved in places.

Cooler today, and more cooling tomorrow.

David Hough