[pct-l] Triple Crown and all finishing certificates and medals

Tim Umstead tumstead96 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 17:17:26 CDT 2022

I agree!

As my family thru-hiked all three trails we made it a point to have
continuous footprints.  There were many times one or all of us would have
to hike back to where we got off trail, just so we could be continuous.
Getting around a fire is not that hard, you just have to be willing to hike
on roads.  And if you are not willing to hike on a road then stay off the
CDT.  When my wife and I first hiked the PCT (1996) the term Yellow Blazer
was an insult and anyone who did it tried to hide the fact.  Nowadays,
there are so many people getting rides that, first time thru-hikers, think
it is ok to do it, and the practice continues to grow.  Think of the
uproar if someone who just made a new FKT was proven to have gotten a ride.
I think anyone doing a long trail should be held to that standard.

There is a problem with the phase "hike your own hike". It gives people
permission to do whatever they want, make up any rules, or break any
rules.  It is a term that says don't judge me.  I'm sorry, when I'm hiking
one of the long trails and I see someone skipping, I think less of them.
And that's that.

Papa Raven
PCT 96, 15
CDT 17