[pct-l] Bike Spring

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 01:36:40 CST 2021

I assume you've read the description from the Wilderness Press guidebooks:

   - The first edition (1974) describes two alternate routes in that area,
   but neither goes by the spring.
   - The first mention is in the second edition (1977): "Two
   concrete-tubbed springs are found just yards north, but their polluted
   nature relegates them to emergency use only."
   - The third edition (1982) names the spring and expands the description:
   "Two concrete tubs at Bike Springs are found just yards north, but their
   polluted nature relegates them to emergency use only. A horse camp is
   planned here for later years."
   - Next one in my collection is the sixth edition (2003): "Two vandalized
   concrete tubs at Bike Springs are found just yards north, but they have
   been dry more often than not in recent years. Even when water is running,
   its heavily polluted nature relegates it to emergency use only. Four white
   PVC pipes have been driven here in the dry wash, and will eventually be
   developed as a well, hopefully with a horse camp. No reliable water is
   available yet, as of Spring 2002."

I hiked that section of trail in 1981 (in '77, we took the temporary route
that took us a little further up Lone Pine Canyon before ascending Lytle
Creek Ridge), but don't recall anything about a spring. Sorry.

Good luck on reviving the springs and losing the caches. Thanks for your
hard work, I-Beam!

Cheers,
Carl
One of the 1977 PCT Kelty Kids