[pct-l] Bike Spring

JimLBanks at verizon.net JimLBanks at verizon.net
Sun Feb 21 17:07:42 CST 2021

Hi everyone, I-Beam here.  I have a question for the really old timers on
this list.  As many of you know I am a crew leader for the Cajon Pass
Chapter of the Trail Gorillas.  We are looking into trying to rehabilitate
old springs along the PCT that have fallen into disrepair and/or dried up
and are no longer in use.  One such spring is Bike Spring at mile 347.3.
This is ½ mile trail north of Swarthout Canyon Road.  I first hiked that
section in 2008 and it was out of repair and had no water then and since
then there has been no water.  Half-mile’s trail notes has always indicated
that it was “always dry.”  The spring is only twenty yards or so off the
trail and it is right across from the trail register box.  There is a
concrete box where a pipe comes in from uphill, but no water.    We think
the water source may still be viable because the brush is much thicker
there, indicating some ground water.  So my question to everyone is:  When
was the last time this spring had water?  We are trying to work with the
Forest Service to get some background information about this spring, but
there doesn’t seem to be much interest in helping us.  We are hoping to
instigate a renewed interest in rehabbing springs all up and down the trial
so we can get rid of some of the water caches.

We cleaned up and rehabilitated Guffy Spring last year just before we got
shut down because of Covid.  We also did some maintenance on the side trail
that leads down to the spring from the PCT.  It is a steep trail.  We are
going to focus on trying to keep Guffy Spring maintained.

Also just to let you know, 2020 was a tough year for trail maintenance
because of Covid.  We were able to work on an off and on basis depending on
the shut-down level.  With all the restrictions we have not been able to
have large crews.  From March of 2020 to current all the maintenance in our
section has been done by the three crew leaders.  We were able to brush the
16.7 miles from Swarthout Canyon Road to the boundary of the San Bernardino
NF and the Angeles NF.  We had to stop there because the Angeles NF has shut
down all maintenance since March, 2020.  It was a huge undertaking for 3
guys.  This section had not been brushed in 10 years and there were many
areas with Poodle Dog Bush and poison oak.  But it is in good shape now for
this year’s hikers.  We are currently working on the section between the 15
Freeway and Swarthout Canyon Road.

If anyone has any information about Bike spring, please let me know.
Thanks,

I-Beam