[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 132, Issue 2

Tim Umstead tumstead96 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 12:21:44 CDT 2020

> We did the CDT in  2017 and we choise to hike the Gila high route.  The
> offical route has very little water on it and In '17 most of the sources
> were dry.  The Gila high route starts after Doc Campbell's.  It stays above
> the Gila, to the souh, and had plenty of water souces.  It also had a lot
> of pine trees keeping it cooler then the river valley.  The high route was
> solid trail, which is uncommon in NM.  The high route does cross the Gila
> toward the end of the Gila alt, so you have a choise of finishing the high
> route or the Gila alt, a little ways before Snow Lake.
>

> I'm not the greatest fan with Guthooks app, but it is the only option on
> the CDT.  We carried paper maps, Gunhook's app, and a soft copy of Ley's
> maps.  As our trip progressed I relayed more and more on the app, but I
> still carried the maps.  Especially on the CDT, being able to, very
> quickly, know where I was made my navagation a lot easier.  Becarful with
> the social infor on Guthooks app.  The use of that information is hit and
> miss.  You might read about a water tank being dry and when you get there
> find it full.  Then rereading the social entry you discover that it was 3
> years old.  I would normaly argue that old data should be deleted, but I
> remember one entry that was over five years old.  It gave directions on
> what colored wires had to be connected where to get the water pump
> running.  Without that information we would have had a long dry walk to the
> next water source.

Ley map: I wish he would cut out all the very old information.  That being
said Ley's maps showed alt's that the app and maps did not have.  There
were times this was very useful.  I is not a big deal to get an app like
Avenza Maps and a soft copy of Ley's maps.  That way they can be consulted
as necessary.

The Ravens
PCT 96, 15, CDT 17, AT 19