[pct-l] bailing out

Jeffrey Olson jjolson58 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 11:48:11 CDT 2019

Didn't some of you guess at "Ray Day" start dates?  If i remember
correctly, a normal year's snow has May 1 be the "Ray Day."

In 2005 I did a two state section hike starting at Manning on June 7.
The Sierra was near 200%, similar to what it is this year, and while a
few made it through, most either bailed or flipped to Canada where the
snowpack was almost nil.  That really doesn't seem to be an option this
year as the snowpack in Washington is pretty normal.

https://www.postholer.com/postholer/cache/1_swe_current.png

This doesn't directly address Neil's question, but it's peripherally
related.  I too am curious what big snow years hikers did, and what your
experience was like - STORY TIME!!!  Piggybacking on Neil's questions,
I'm particularly curious what hikers in their 50s and 60s did, and how
they dealt with the slogging...

Jeff
Laramie, WY

On 3/29/2019 9:28 AM, Neil Lacey wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to think/brainstorm about options for this year.
>
> I've committed to an April 8 start date, of course I'd love to finish
> but I've seen some insane snowmelt in my time, makes me hesitate.
>
> Plus I'm 64, in great shape for 64, but pushing straight through seems
> pretty risky.
>
> I just retired so I don't have many constraints, here are a  few
> thoughts, I know a lot can happen between now & June.
>
> 1) Hike North to Tehachapi, take a break somewhere til the melt is
> mostly over & then head into the Sierra
>
> 2) Take a longer break after the desert & head southbound from the
> northern border
>
> 3) Flip North then head South depending on snow.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Neil

---