[pct-l] question re canisters

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Tue Mar 13 03:12:30 CDT 2018

I've always heard 15 pints per ~100g/4oz canister is typical.  I never
quite tested that out myself, because running out anywhere other than
the last moment before a resupply would mean uncooked food until I got
into town.  So I'd buy a new canister when my current one felt "low" in
town.  It might be worth trying to train yourself to feel how full a
canister is.  Either by weight, or by swishing it around and
listening/feeling.

I preferred the MSR canisters, since they were wider and stood better,
but more often than not there's only one brand at a resupply point.
It's not worth illegally shipping canisters in resupply boxes just for
the relatively minor differences between brands.

  -=Town Food