[pct-l] Advice for Sierra section hike start date

timpnye timpnye at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 20:18:39 CST 2018

It is far too premature to venture an informed judgement as to the state of the weather, and snow, going forward. By way of example, 2011 had a storm a week during April and May leaving treacherous crossings. Evolution and Bear in such circumstances must be respected and are are difficult too imagine, much less for which to prepare. Early morning crossings should also be abetted by determing the aspect of the relevant watershed in the area to the sun at any given time of day. Snow bridges could be the subject of an entire thread, but the two crossings above are extremely unlikely to have one given their volume and width. The waterfalls involved in  crossings are another consideration.
Howdy,

My travel plans have changed and I’m thinking of hiking a nobo section
between KM South or Lone Pine and Mammoth this Summer. Are there any
clairvoyant hikers out there who can give advice about start date given the
recent weather? (early June?)

My partner and would like to see some snow (and fewer mosquitoes). We’ve
done our share of river crossings, but neither of us are super experienced
with winter camping (I hiked in 2016 but entered the Sierra well into June).

Thanks!
Dylan