[pct-l] So there I was... staring into a PCTA Contact us *Message dialog box

Paint YW paintyourwagonhikes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 21:19:34 CST 2018

*Message

I've been a participant in the latest conversations at the PCT-L (list
serve) regarding the recent implementation of a total fire ban in the
Angeles NF.

If the weather continues it's trend (another drought year) the forest is
again, going to be a tinderbox.

The idea came to my mind to have the 2018 hikers voluntarily pledge not to
start fires along the trail. Note: I am not against fires in established
campgrounds,  where water is available, and I am emphatically for the use
of gas backpacking stoves out on the trail, with proper precautions.

The PCTA might set up a registration on it's website, where those taking
the pledge would see their pledge (name) displayed openly and united in
purpose with their peers.

I believe some kind of awareness campaign is in order, using all of the
PCTA's tools, like- The Communicator, the PCTA website, PCTA speakers at
gatherings, PCTA personnel posting at hiking forums or boards, and perhaps
a pledge option included in the e-mailing of this year's permits. This
would need to be constructed quickly, as the permit distribution process is
just around the corner. Or, if time is too short, a stand alone email
message sent independently of the permits, with the pledge option included
inside the message's body.

Best regards,

Paint