[pct-l] Stoves and fires etc

Paint YW paintyourwagonhikes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 23:26:44 CST 2018

I've ran across a few fire rings while out hiking, in some out of the way
places along the trail that were very inappropriate; on a saddle, and, up
on a ledge, with absolutely no water available within a reasonable
distance, are but two examples. The likelihood that they were put there by
anyone but hikers seems very slim.

Perhaps a voluntary pledge by hikers not to construct fires is in order,
and might the PCTA initiate such a public awareness campaign using all of
the tools at their disposal? The Communicator magazine, website articles,
email messages with permits, traditional and recurring gatherings, boards
and forums, etc., could all be brought into play to convey the need for
self discipline.

Open fires are one thing, and personal backpacking cook stoves quite
another animal. That being said- I will abide a use ban where implemented.

Adding exponentially to the danger of fire, and looming on the horizon is
the pine bark beetle and the devastation it's wrought over large swaths of
land, rendering such forest a ticking time bomb.

Be careful out there...

Paint