[pct-l] Alpine Lakes Wilderness, air situation?

Katy Shaw katyshaw at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 08:57:59 CDT 2018

Hi Peer,

I just finished hiking Section J, nobo.  I started on Tuesday August 14 and ended on Sunday August 19.  The air quality was poor the entire time, although it got worse as I neared Stevens Pass.  In the beginning I could see the nearest mountains and scenery as I hiked, although they were hazy - but not much farther.  By the end I couldn’t even see that far and I could feel the smoke in my lungs.

I live in Seattle and found that the air quality had worsened here too while I had hiked.  It’s worse here than I’ve ever seen it before.  Ash is covering my car, outdoor sports are being cancelled, and my colleagues are suffering from asthma and headaches.  I have a cough and a headache.

However this could all change completely by September. We’ll have to watch the weather and see what happens.

A good source of recent information on hiking conditions in Washington State is the Washington Trails Association web site.  The WTA has an entry for section J, and hikers can leave trip reports on recent conditions.  I filed one if you’re interested in reading more.   Here’s the link:  https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/pacific-crest-trail-section-j-snoqualmie-pass-to-stevens-pass-east

FYI I’ll also be writing some blog posts over the next week that have more details on my recent hike if you’re interested.  The link is https://aramblingunicorn.com/

Happy trails.
-Unicorn
PCT Class of 2017