[pct-l] Lake Marina kick off

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Fri Apr 20 14:17:39 CDT 2018

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 8:29 AM, Susan Virnig <susanvirnig at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Many of us commented that we couldn’t understand why the ADZPCTKO used
to be held in late April, inviting many hikers to start then.  If it
was bad for us, we
couldn’t imagine  starting a month later.  (And I know that some folks
circled back
for the event, but truly — it encouraged many to start then.)<<

The date was chosen as a convenient start date to hit Kennedy Meadows
South around "Ray Day" - June 15, which is a good time to enter the
Sierra on an "average snow year" if "average" means anything anymore.
The ADZ date really should be variable based on the seasonal
precipitation, but it was such a big event, they had to schedule it a
year in advance

This year we have a drought in So-Cal so you are experiencing dryer
conditions than normal. Some years, people leaving in April get snowed
on in the Lagunas.

When you hit the Sierra, you may wish you had started later.

Oh, and if you think things were hot/dry at the border, wait till you
hit the Mojave.

HYOH YMMV