[pct-l] Sierra City

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Thu Apr 12 19:54:45 CDT 2018

I had a foot injury and had to get out of Sierra down to Truckee a few years ago. At the time there was no public transport--at least what I could find asking around town. So I hung out in front of the general store with a beer and started chatting up people. Had a ride lined up within an hour--just enough time to finish another beer!

As an aside, the church allowed free camping on their small side yard. There was also a (cold water) shower in the public bathroom right next door. My impression is that it was a very hiker-friendly town--I was offered a ride from the trail head into town without even sticking out my thumb. You know the locals are hiker-aware when you get in the car and they say "ok, where do you want to go? The post office, store, or church to set up camp?"

And be sure to order the 1 pound burger at the general store. Man that hit the spot.

Herb