[pct-l] Gear/Resupply questions

Luce Cruz lucecruz13 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 20:42:25 CDT 2017

Hi David, welcome to the insanity.

Clothes, shoes, and even sleeping bag can be a very personal thing. I could
have gotten a custom sewn quilt made ($$$$$$), but I fit in an REI duck
down bag for big and tall folks ($$$), necessary because I'm big and tall.
My shoulders didn't fit in many of the very well made and recommended
sleeping bags.

I wear a size 15 shoe and have a pretty narrow low volume foot, so what
works for my feet will probably not work for almost everyone else. Gotta
put some miles in on different shoes before marrying to one, and even that
might change once you start putting in the long days and your foot size and
shape may change.

IMO, if you need snowshoes, it's time to consider how to bail and think
about your plan.

IMO, carrying an ice ax and not knowing how to use it and having it ready
when you need it is a waste of time, effort, safety, and planning. Ned will
be along soon I'm sure to tell you why this is.

Personally, I'd leapfrog a section before I went through needing an ice ax,
and I wouldn't dream of bringing or needing snowshoes on a PCT hike, but
that's just me and my own thoughts about level of enjoyment for a hike. I
like microspikes and have used them a lot on hard crusty snow and ice, and
they aren't so big and heavy as to cramp my style.

--
Luce Cruz